cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The next step up...?

Wilshawlr
Contributor

Hello all! I am new to these boards and am starting to get more serious about photography.  I am incredibly stubborn and I try to learn everything on my own, which often leads to disappointment (haha).  I am turning a new leaf and I really want to invest time into learning this craft and not relying on the creative settings (I can't get enough of the monochrome), automode, and sports mode (becasue my nephew is 1 1/2 and can't sit still).  

I love my Canon EOS Rebel T5.  I bought the package deal thing last Christmas that included the 18-55mm lens (that eventually broke) and the 75-300mm lens.  I rarely use the 75-300mm lens unless I am shooting the moon.  I recently bought a  50mm fixed lens and I am absolutely in love with it.

I just have a few questions, if you all don't mind answering them?

My photos seem to look awesome when I play them back on my camera, and then I upload them to my Mac and then... not so awesome.  They are either grainy or just not as sharp as I want them.  I rarely use manual settings, so is there something that I am not doing correctly?  Perhaps a bit shaky?

Also, what camera do you think is the best for a step up from the T5?  I do eventually want to upgrade.  I don't mind staying with Canon, but will definitely be open to other suggestions.  Or should I stick with this one and just buy new lens, etc.?

Thank you for your time!  I uploaded photos to my gallery, but I will post photos here if you need me to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

When you shoot in auto mode, all you really have is a fancy P&S or iphone.  Forget that mode is even on the camera.  If you must use an auto setting, use P mode.  P mode is fine for snaps.  But if you want certain looks and showcasing certain subjects, you need the more manual settings.

Tv allows auto of the aperture, the camera sets it automatically.  Av does the same except fixing the aperture.  Of course M allows you to set everything.  The camera does nothing.

I didn't see any problem with the samples you displayed.  They are really nice.  Possibly a little tweaking in post but otherwise pretty good.  The fact is great photos are made in post, not in the camera.

Another setting to avoid is auto WB.  Set it yourself or shoot RAW where it doesn't matter.  BTW, if you are just shooting snaps, you don't need RAW nor will you benefit from it.  But now-a-days RAW is seamless so really no reason to not use it.  The advantage is, you set almost everything in post.  Not in the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

"... you use RAWs just like a JPEG except you have more latitude for adjustments."

All current post editors I am aware of do this.  The fact is RAW is no more difficult to use than jpg.  I doubt most people will even realize they are!  There are only a very tiny place where a jpg file is better.

EB

Thank you everyone!

I'm going to give myself another year and save for a Canon 5D Mark III.  I think that is a good step up for me and I'm going to allow myself a year or two to practice shooting in P and other modes besides auto.  

@Wilshawlr wrote:

Thank you everyone!

I'm going to give myself another year and save for a Canon 5D Mark III.  I think that is a good step up for me and I'm going to allow myself a year or two to practice shooting in P and other modes besides auto.  

That's not necessarily a bad decision. But be aware that a new 5D3 may no longer be available a year from now. And if that is the case, then even refurbished 5D3's are apt to be in great demand and therefore not easy to find.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat Do you have another suggestion for a camera?  I've been looking at 7D's as well, but I just fell in love with the 5D Mark III. 😞

@Wilshawlr wrote:

@RobertTheFat Do you have another suggestion for a camera?  I've been looking at 7D's as well, but I just fell in love with the 5D Mark III. 😞

I have a 5D3, so you won't get an argument from me on that. I also have a couple of 7D's and have been very happy with them. My wife has the newer 7D2, and it's also (obviously) a fine camera. There's no reason you shouldn't be happy with any of them. The 5D4, which I haven't used, figures to be even better, but it's a lot more expensive.

Bottom line: I can certainly understand your desire to go FF, if for no reason other than that Canon's best lenses are the right focal lengths for a FF camera and a little too long on a crop camera. I guess what I'm saying is that if I were in your situation, I might try to go for a refurbished 5D3 now, rather than hope to find a new one in a year.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you for the advice!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

When you shoot in auto mode, all you really have is a fancy P&S or iphone.  Forget that mode is even on the camera.  If you must use an auto setting, use P mode.  P mode is fine for snaps.  But if you want certain looks and showcasing certain subjects, you need the more manual settings.

Tv allows auto of the aperture, the camera sets it automatically.  Av does the same except fixing the aperture.  Of course M allows you to set everything.  The camera does nothing.

I didn't see any problem with the samples you displayed.  They are really nice.  Possibly a little tweaking in post but otherwise pretty good.  The fact is great photos are made in post, not in the camera.

Another setting to avoid is auto WB.  Set it yourself or shoot RAW where it doesn't matter.  BTW, if you are just shooting snaps, you don't need RAW nor will you benefit from it.  But now-a-days RAW is seamless so really no reason to not use it.  The advantage is, you set almost everything in post.  Not in the camera.

EB
Announcements