cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephoto glass for wildlife

Layochum
Apprentice
Here's the deal, I have the 75-300 macro lens that came with my T6 but want to have more zoom. The problem I have is that im far from able to throw large amounts of money out there for the lens I would really want, I am a hobbyist on a small budget, father of 2 girls plus a wife (daddy don't get a whole lot). I need some suggestions for an affordable good piece of glass that would give me some distance with speed. All responses are appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

StanNH
Rising Star

What are your budget constraints?  Both Sigma and Tamron make decent "budget" 150-600mm lenses, but even those are in the $1,000 range and are not fast lenses.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The 75 to 300 is not that good of a lens.

If $1000 is too much for you, you can get a 1.4 teleconvertor which will make your 300 mm a 420mm equiv, which will be equivalent to a FF 672 mm.

I have had pretty good luck with my Tamron TC, though I don't use it much since I got my 150 -600 mm lens. 8^).

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am a hobbyist on a small budget, ..."

Aren't we all?

Here is the cheapest option and it does a 'reasonable' job but keep in mind it is totally manual.  Completely manual. The Opteka 500mm f/8 High Definition Preset Telephoto Lens for Canon.  It is 800mm on your Rebel.  If that ain't enough, I don't know what is.  These sell in the $100 range. New!

Your next and better option is buying used.  The big tele super zooms are goof buys on the used market.  Somewhere in the $500 to $600 range.

Last choice, save longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Layochum
Apprentice
Thanks for the help

If you can't afford a telephoto lens at this time, buy a SX40/50/60 HS for the reach.

Anyone of these ultra zoom will satisfy you with a small budget.

Layochum
Apprentice
What is everyones thoughts on teleconvertors? I noticed I can get pretty inexpensive ones like Bower and Vivitar and even Tamron has one on the cheaper side. I have always thought of these as a poor substitute but have never tried them.

They are OK:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/tc3.html

They certainly get you the most bang for the buck. I had pretty good luck with the Tamron. I would not trust Vivitar or Bower, though.

If you find the 75-300 acceptable, they should be fine.

"What is everyones thoughts on teleconvertors?"

Smiley Sad I don't like tele converters.  But I admit there are a few, very few, lenses that handle them really well.  The Canon 1.4x on a ef 70-200mm f2.8L for instance.  Works well.

I have maybe six or sever converters and I have had another six or seven in the past.  Don't like'em.  I have the Tamron and the Sigma and if you must buy one that is not a Canon brand get one of them.  Then only the 1.4x versions. Never the 2x.

The best third world converter is probably the Kenko 1.4x.

Don't waste money on the off brands, Bower or Vivitar.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements