cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i Battery Grip Please

Chris2
Apprentice

I've been using Canon product since my first camera is 1977 an AE1, then AE1P, and more resently Rebel XT,  a Rebel XSi, and now the Rebel T7i. All the other models I've allways had a battery grip or autowinder on the older film models. These add ons gave a bigger grip area for my large hand, which was nice. I was very surprised and disappointed that I could not get a battery grip for the T7i. Is there going to be one come out for it soon

29 REPLIES 29

@wmangelowrote:

Has anyone tried a Vivitar brand Battery?  Vivitar Battery in a Vivitar Grip?

I would [not] advise using third party batteries in Canon DSLRs.  The most recent generation of cameras seem to have the smarts to detect when a non-Canon battery is in use, and cause the camera to post a message to that efffect, and then turn itself off.

A couple of third party brands seem to still work, but I do not have a list of them.  Besides, the Canon batteries hold their charge for longer perriods that nearly all of the bargain substitutes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle.

Mike

If you don't rent software, how did you buy photoshop? I'm curious. 

CS6 was before they started the subscription service.

Chris2
Apprentice

Starting to look for my next camera

which of the newer Canon DSLR's have a Canon Battery grip in the under $2000 range?

@Chris2 wrote:

Starting to look for my next camera

which of the newer Canon DSLR's have a Canon Battery grip in the under $2000 range?

That is easy to find out.  Just visit the Canon Online Store.  Check out what accessories are available for each camera.  

Grips are typically available for mid-range and professional camera bodies.  Third party manufacturers sell “grips” for entry level cameras, but these typically lack the complete compliment of integrated button controls that a grip should have.

As you have discovered, Rebels do not have Canon battery grips.  The 77D is a twin cousin to the T7i, and so it lacks a grip, too.  For some reason, the is no grip available for the EOS RP.  So far, it only has “grip” that merely a body extension to make it feel better in larger hands.

Grips are available for the 80D, 6D Series and 7D Series bodies..  The just released 90D should have an available grip, too.

As far as the Rebel line I believe the last Rebel model that has a battery grip is the T6, I remember an older thread on the T7 battery grip where the Canon UK site had misleading information claiming to have a battery grip for the T7 which turned out to be not true when Canon was asked directly.

Here is a link from the Canon website listing their battery grips which you can then see which models they are compatible with and work backward to a camera: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/product-accessories/eos-digital-slr-camera-accessories/eo... 

@John_ wrote:

As far as the Rebel line I believe the last Rebel model that has a battery grip is the T6, I remember an older thread on the T7 battery grip where the Canon UK site had misleading information claiming to have a battery grip for the T7 which turned out to be not true when Canon was asked directly.

Here is a link from the Canon website listing their battery grips which you can then see which models they are compatible with and work backward to a camera: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/product-accessories/eos-digital-slr-camera-accessories/eo... 

Canon did not release a grip for the T6, nor the T5.  Third party manufacturers released some that could fit either the T3, T5, or T6.  I think they gave up when the T7 was released because it would require a lightly diffferent shape.

Those bodies are not made for a grip.  Bodies that use grips seem to alternate between using one battery or the other.  I do not think the most basic Rebels have the firmware smarts to alternate batteries.  I would avoid using one on those bodies if it was not made by Canon.

I have the T6i and the Canon BG-E18 battery grip, made by Canon, in a Canon box with Canon literature so of that I am sure but I do agree that Canon did not bother making one for the T7. I also agree that those third-party grips are at best a risk and will not or cannot provide all the functions of the Canon grips. I don't always need the extra battery power of a grip but I do like the extra hand-space it provides.

On that Vivitar battery, I have used those in my older Canon cameras and more recently on my Powershot SX50HS with no noticeable difference from the Canon battery. If Vivitar made a grip ( I think they do) I would not buy it. I have not tried a Vivitar battery in my T6 since I have 2 Canon batteries already. One Canon battery came with the Canon BG-E18 grip which accepts 2 batteries. 

@John_ wrote:

I have the T6i and the Canon BG-E18 battery grip, made by Canon, in a Canon box with Canon literature so of that I am sure but I do agree that Canon did not bother making one for the T7. I also agree that those third-party grips are at best a risk and will not or cannot provide all the functions of the Canon grips. I don't always need the extra battery power of a grip but I do like the extra hand-space it provides.

On that Vivitar battery, I have used those in my older Canon cameras and more recently on my Powershot SX50HS with no noticeable difference from the Canon battery. If Vivitar made a grip ( I think they do) I would not buy it. I have not tried a Vivitar battery in my T6 since I have 2 Canon batteries already. One Canon battery came with the Canon BG-E18 grip which accepts 2 batteries. 

The T#i Rebels are a different line of cameras from the the entry level T# Rebels. The T#i Rebels are the “advanced” Rebels.  They are the middle ground between entry level T# Rebel DSLRs and the #0D line of mid-range DSLRS.

Unfortunately, Canon seems to have blurrred those lines with the T7, T7i and 77D.  The 77D is more like a  Rebel T7s, whatever that means, than a #0D mid-range DSLR.

Announcements