cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i side grip making a odd sound when held firmly?

TMcArthur
Contributor

I bought a T6i a few days ago and received it yesterday. I have yet to even put 50 shots on the camera and I've noticed when I hold the side grip of the camera it makes a tap/creek sound. Almost like the panel is 100% connected.

Is this normal? I know it's nit-picky but it's my first proper DSLR and I want it to be perfect.

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@TMcArthur wrote:

I bought a T6i a few days ago and received it yesterday. I have yet to even put 50 shots on the camera and I've noticed when I hold the side grip of the camera it makes a tap/creek sound. Almost like the panel is 100% connected.

Is this normal? I know it's nit-picky but it's my first proper DSLR and I want it to be perfect.

This sounds like something that I have heard before.  

Why are you posting about it in the forums?  Contact the vendor and get a new camera.  Immediately.  I hope you used a reputable online dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I bought it from Amazon, I contacted a rep there and they're exchanging it at their expense so hopefully all will be well.

@TMcArthur wrote:

I bought it from Amazon, I contacted a rep there and they're exchanging it at their expense so hopefully all will be well.

I hope all will be well, too.  

Take my advice, though.  Never buy electronics through Amazon or eBay.  I don't care what sort of guarantees they might claim to offer.  What you're going through right now, is EXACTLY the reason why you it is not a good idea.  

The merchandise can come from unauthorized dealers.  Guess what that means as far as a warranty goes.  You don't have one.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TMcArthur wrote:

Take my advice, though.  Never buy electronics through Amazon or eBay.  I don't care what sort of guarantees they might claim to offer.  What you're going through right now, is EXACTLY the reason why you it is not a good idea.  

The merchandise can come from unauthorized dealers.  Guess what that means as far as a warranty goes.  You don't have one.

Buying a camera that is Sold and Shipped by Amazon is no different than buying it from any other online Canon Authorized Dealer. Amazon has a great return policy and in situations like this will pay for return shipping as well.

I'm not sure what issue you had with Amazon, unless you bought something from a 3rd party seller. My experience with Amazon when buying an item sold and shipped by Amazon has been superb. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TMcArthur wrote:

Buying a camera that is Sold and Shipped by Amazon is no different than buying it from any other online Canon Authorized Dealer. Amazon has a great return policy and in situations like this will pay for return shipping as well.

I'm not sure what issue you had with Amazon, unless you bought something from a 3rd party seller. My experience with Amazon when buying an item sold and shipped by Amazon has been superb. 

What is so difficult to understand about "merchandise can come from unauthorized dealers"?  

Not everything being offered on the web site comes from Amazon, and many people do not know the difference, are are even aware a difference exists.  Others do not think that it makes any difference because Amazon guarantees the purchases.  

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TMcArthur wrote:

What is so difficult to understand about "merchandise can come from unauthorized dealers"?  

Not everything being offered on the web site comes from Amazon, and many people do not know the difference, are are even aware a difference exists.  Others do not think that it makes any difference because Amazon guarantees the purchases.  

Then shouldn't you warning be "When buying on Amazon be sure that it says 'Sold and shipped by Amazon', since Amazon also has 3rd sellers". Rather than, "never buy from Amazon"?

Amazon Prime Membership includes free unlimited cloud storage of RAW files, in addition to many other benefits. I use Amazon regularly without issues. 

Well, my return is in transit and refund has been started. I bought the camera from the Canon seller on Amazon. As far as I'm concerned it's quite legit, though I'll never know for sure.

@TMcArthur wrote:

Well, my return is in transit and refund has been started. I bought the camera from the Canon seller on Amazon. As far as I'm concerned it's quite legit, though I'll never know for sure.

That sounds like good news.  A "Canon seller on Amazon" sounds like it could be one of those unauthorized dealers that I spoke about earlier.  Visit Canon's web site for a list of authorized dealers.  

I only buy Canon gear from two online vendors, directly from Canon, and from BHPhotoVideo.  No doubt there are other reputable vendors, but I have not used them, so i will not mention them by name.  

As far as Amazon goes, I think it is truly a "buyer beware" environment.  You have to research the seller, just as much as you have to research the gear.  The safest course of action is to only buy from Amazon, not third parties.  

Some third parties are reputable and advertise themselves as "authorized by Canon", or some other similar language.  Many of them are reputable, and many of them are not.  Like I said, the only safe course is to only buy from Amazon.  

But, if you need sales help and advice, then you're on your own again.  

@Waddizzle: While it's true, buying at an online marketplace can be dodgy, when sold and shipped direct from Amazon.com, you are, in fact, buying from a Canon Authorized Dealer. You do have to ensure you're not buying from a third party "marketplace" seller, but if you're a Prime customer and it says that it's sold from and shipped by Amazon, you're good.

If you ever have questions about if a company is an Authorized Dealer, you'll find a continually updated list HERE  under the "Canon Authorized Dealer" button. 

@TMcArthur: When you get your replacement, it could be normal operation. While I don't have a T6i in my hands right now (because support is closed on Sundays), it could have been the in-camera accelerometer or gyroscope making the clicking noise when you tilted the camera from landscape to portrait mode. That is how the camera knows to orient your photos vertically or horizontally. I have personally heard some of them make a small clicking noise when they're tilted. If it's more than little click that you wouldn't hear in a very quiet environment, then you'd want to reach out to support, just to verify how theirs operates. They're right here in the USA, and always free. They're at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) and open from 8am to Midnight (Eastern Time) during the week and from 10am to 8pm (Eastern Time) on Saturdays. 

Announcements