cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6S Battery Communication Error

tliangsea
Apprentice

I have a Canon T6S, and after a year, it refuses to turn on, and sometimes I am getting this error

"cannont communicate with battery" and it shuts itself off right after.

Is this something I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tim
Authority

Hello tilangsea,

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

tliangsea
Apprentice

I ended up sending it back for a repair at one of the Canon factory service centers. It cost me about $250 but now it is like new. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did you try  a new canon battery?

You can look in the battery compartment and see if there is any crud on the contacts.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@tliangsea wrote:

I have a Canon T6S, and after a year, it refuses to turn on, and sometimes I am getting this error

"cannont communicate with battery" and it shuts itself off right after.

Is this something I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

When is the last time you used the camera, or charged the battery?

Try a new battery.  Make sure that it is fully charged up prior to first use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tim
Authority

Hello tilangsea,

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

tliangsea
Apprentice

I ended up sending it back for a repair at one of the Canon factory service centers. It cost me about $250 but now it is like new. 

Announcements