cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i doesn't start up w/ sd card installed

LefterisN
Apprentice

I own a 700D(aka T5i) for some time now, works great. But for some reason, I formatted my card and when I insert it into the camera it just refuses to turn on! It won't open with the SD card installed on it. What can I do? Get it repaired or something? (the SD card is a SanDisk Ultra class10)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@LefterisN wrote:

I own a 700D(aka T5i) for some time now, works great. But for some reason, I formatted my card and when I insert it into the camera it just refuses to turn on! It won't open with the SD card installed on it. What can I do? Get it repaired or something? (the SD card is a SanDisk Ultra class10)

A wild guess (for lack of an actual explanation that fits the available facts) would be that you formatted the card on a computer but got the file system wrong. In such a case, the camera might get so confused that it would fail to recognize the card and throw up its mirror (as it has no hands) in despair. I'd try formatting again on a computer, choosing the FAT32 file system, assuming the card isn't too large. (And if it works better, then of course format it again in the camera.)

Does it work if you use a different card?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@LefterisN wrote:

A wild guess (for lack of an actual explanation that fits the available facts) would be that you formatted the card on a computer but got the file system wrong. In such a case, the camera might get so confused that it would fail to recognize the card and throw up its mirror (as it has no hands) in despair. I'd try formatting again on a computer, choosing the FAT32 file system, assuming the card isn't too large. (And if it works better, then of course format it again in the camera.)

Does it work if you use a different card?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

What happens if you remove the card and switch camera on? If camera is functioning properly you should get a "no card" error. 

If if nothing happens then maybe the card door switch is malfunctioning. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

LefterisN
Apprentice
I formatted it as MS DOS and now it works fine. Thanks ❤️
Announcements