cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5 Sluggish to take picture, delayed reaction

SpringG
Contributor

I have a Canon Rebel EOS T5. I've had it almost 3 years, and use it on a daily basis. The last few months I've noticed it's become sluggish sometimes when I try to take a photo. I press the shutter release button, and it might take several seconds to take a photo. It doesn't matter if it's auto or manual focus--it doesn't seem to be a focus issue. It's not set on a timer, etc. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it has the delay. Sometimes it won't even take a picture. I thought it might be the battery so I got a new (actual Canon) battery and it didn't seem to help much. I don't know if it could need cleaning or something? I've never had it serviced or anything like that....

13 REPLIES 13

I did clean the little (brass?, gold-colored square-shaped row of) connectors where the lens meets up/connects to the body of the camera, and that seemed to help some. I got a brand new Canon battery and charger, and that didn't seem to make much difference. It still does it on occasion, and I'm not really sure of the reason. 

I'd definitely try cleaning/wiping those connectors though. Try the easy/cheap stuff first 🙂

@SpringG wrote:

I did clean the little (brass?, gold-colored square-shaped row of) connectors where the lens meets up/connects to the body of the camera, and that seemed to help some. I got a brand new Canon battery and charger, and that didn't seem to make much difference. It still does it on occasion, and I'm not really sure of the reason. 

I'd definitely try cleaning/wiping those connectors though. Try the easy/cheap stuff first 🙂

Don’t try to clean the gold contacts.  Gold is a soft metal, and can rub away very easily.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There is 2-second delay timer (and also a 10-second delay timer).  The 2-second timer is mostly used for tripod shots becuase the act of "touching" the shutter button can make a tripod vibrate and that could ruin a shot.  The 2-second timer gives the tripod a couple of seconds to settle before it snaps the photo.  

You may want to check the 'Drive' mode and make sure you didn't accidentally switch the camera into the 2-sec delay mode.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Milky
Apprentice
Did you ever get this problem fixed ? I was shooting a birthday party today with my 6D & after going from outside to inside it started happening . Then it would work normally & then act up again later.. please let me know if you figured it out ! Thanks !
Announcements