cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5 Sluggish to take picture, delayed reaction

SpringG
Contributor

I have a Canon Rebel EOS T5. I've had it almost 3 years, and use it on a daily basis. The last few months I've noticed it's become sluggish sometimes when I try to take a photo. I press the shutter release button, and it might take several seconds to take a photo. It doesn't matter if it's auto or manual focus--it doesn't seem to be a focus issue. It's not set on a timer, etc. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it has the delay. Sometimes it won't even take a picture. I thought it might be the battery so I got a new (actual Canon) battery and it didn't seem to help much. I don't know if it could need cleaning or something? I've never had it serviced or anything like that....

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does it take one quickly and then delay before the next one?

Is the flash up?

No--when it does this. I can't get it to take even one. Then sometimes it functions normally like it always has.

Usually I'm using it without the flash, but even with it, it does the same thing, slow to take a photo off and on.
It really seems like it's the shutter release button itself. 

The lenses don't make a difference either, I have two that came with the kit/box, it will do this with either lens. 

Try doing a "low level format" on your SD card.  Use a full size card, not a microSD card with an adapter, 32 GB, or less.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Is that something I need to do on my PC, or will my camera do it? And, I have no idea how to do that.... Is it fairly easy?Woman Frustrated

ScottyP
Authority

It does it on Manual focus too?  That is unexpected.  You are sure?

Does it do this outdoors in full sun aiming at a nice high contrast subject?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Try going in MENU and resetting all settings. If it is not a focusing problem maybe it is something else got jiggered like you accidentally bumped exposure compensation all the way to the right or maybe you set it to take bracketed photos with lots of stops separation and so it can't make the exposure in the light you are in?

Are you in Auto mode?  

One thing to to try would be to turn the mode dial to M mode (full Manual shooting) with the lens on manual focus.    In that mode the camera should just take the picture. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I don't use Auto Mode very often, so when it's being troublesome I'm usually in Landscape or P.... Mode doesn't seem to matter. It's like sometimes it's being a stinker, and it doesn't matter what setting, etc. It just refuses to react to my finger pressing that button. 

Yes, I use manual focus often, and it does it with manual and auto focus. While I take most photos outdoors, it has done it indoors also. LIke I said, it is just every so often. Sometimes I'll go several days and don't have a problem. Then it starts doing it (NOT doing it) and it doesn't matter which setting I put it on. It just sits there, not taking a picture. Sometimes when I press the SR button REALLY hard it will take it then, but still with a delay. So maybe pressing it hard isn't really having an effect. 

mmataraza
Apprentice

Did you ever get an answer to this problem?  I am having the same issue and I have tried everything that is suggested.

Thanks

Announcements