cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i- Movie recording has stopped automatically

willfoxylove
Contributor

Hi, guys. I've never had this problem with my T3i/SD card until tonight, and I'm not sure what the problem is because I have the Sandisk Extreme Pro, 32 GB SD card that reads 95 MB/s. What could be the problem? The video stops recording after about 5-10 seconds if I'm playing my piano and it has to record me. My SD card has 17GB of space, so that can't be it, can it? Sadly enough, I don't have another SD card to test this with.

I have also formatted the card again and it works better, but every other video or so, it stops recording automatically. For some reason it's only doing it when I'm recording myself doing something complex, such as playing drums or the piano.

Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

Mykolas
Authority

Hi willfoxylove!

Thanks for posting.

When this happens, it is usually because the card is unable to keep up with the camera's need to write data to it.  Not all cards work the same and not all cards can keep up at the highest write speed at all times.

How long are you waiting between recordings?

The best way to determine if the card is indeed the cause of the issue is to try using another card.  When you get the chance, please do so.

Do other cards work fine or do those have the same problem as well?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

cale_kat
Mentor

@willfoxylove wrote:

Hi, guys. I've never had this problem with my T3i/SD card until tonight, and I'm not sure what the problem is because I have the Sandisk Extreme Pro, 32 GB SD card that reads 95 MB/s. What could be the problem? The video stops recording after about 5-10 seconds if I'm playing my piano and it has to record me. My SD card has 17GB of space, so that can't be it, can it? Sadly enough, I don't have another SD card to test this with.

I have also formatted the card again and it works better, but every other video or so, it stops recording automatically. For some reason it's only doing it when I'm recording myself doing something complex, such as playing drums or the piano.

Any thoughts?

If the camera stops recording after 5-10 seconds intermittently ("...every other video or so, .."), it is trying to tell you something.

The camera has stopped the recording because it has been instructed to do so. You are confident that the shut-down isn't due to running out of space on the card so I'll discount that diagnosis. You have previously been able to get a good long recording of the same sort of subject successfully. That suggests that the card was reliable at one time but it doesn't mean it is still reliable.

The camera might also shut the camera down if it senses overheating of the internal electronics. This is usually the case when filming a scene with a lot of action. You described that you film yourself drumming and I would think that would qualify as a fairly energetic activity. The reason for the overheating is that the camera uses a compression algorithm (mathematical code) to save the file. The more "changes" there are in a scene, the harder the camera works to stuff all that activity efficiently on your card. This hard work creates considerable heat. If you were to record yourself drumming and had just finished a 15 minute clip, it might be necessary to let the camera cool down before resuming shooting.

Finally, the room temperature has a effect on how well the camera can shed the heat it builds up. If you had been filming is a realitively mild temperature and moved the camera to a higher temperature area (adding lights might create considerable heat), the camera will not perform as well as it previously did.

Your camera has a way of telling you it is overheating. Check your manual (p 151) and if you don't have one, go online and get one.

Good luck.

brobrown
Apprentice

On page 153 of your manual check to be sure that video snap shot is disabled. I had that problem video cutting of after 2-3 seconds, couldn't figure it out. Went to snapshot mode MENU - select the SECOND BOX- scroll down to VIDEO SNAPSHOT. I set it for 8 seconds and it recorded the full 8 seconds when just a moment ago I could only record about 2-3. Next I disabled vide snap shot and attempted to record again and the video stayed on this time.

Announcements