cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3 takes photos, then later, they say "No Image"

tayzerker
Contributor

I just took a bunch of family photos on my T3, and I could go back and view them all and everything right after taking them.  An hour later, I look at them and the latter half of the photos can't be previewed, but rather than a thumbnail, have a "No Image" icon.  The SD card also seems to not want to load on my computer either... Grrrr. 

The card is a 16GB Class 6 SDHC card made by "IRIS."  Photos are JPEG.  I've tried all kinds of recovery software.  Files won't open in Preview, Chrome, Gimp, Finder. GIMP at least gave me the error, "unsupported marker type 0x44"  (the 0x44 tags change depending on the file).

Any ideas what might be the culprit and whether or not I can save the photo session of my kids?  Thank you all so much for you help!  My wife and soon-to-mail christmas cards are also begging for your collective wisdom!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, I know this is a little old but I found this software that was able to repair most of the images. I will link to my dropbox where you can download and look at the images. The downside is tht the software's trail version adds a watermark to the repaired images and the only way to get rid of it is to purchase the full version which I can not justify at this time.

I am including the link if you wish to purchase it your self. Out of 6 different programs that claim to be able to repair jpeg files this is the only one that worked for me. And it was on a windows computer so not sure if they have a version for Apple if that is what you are using. The software is easy to use, just let it scan the folder comntaining the bad pictures then select the ones you want to repair or select all and click on the repair button.

Software: http://www.hketech.com/JPEG-recovery/index.php

Sample of repaired images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yktdbb96sxvsp4z/AABz33pQOGHx-SBPEVFtUgrJa?dl=0

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

tayzerker
Contributor

I finally got the SD card (16GB Class 6 SDHC card) to load in my MacBook Pro magically!  It seems like half of the photos are there just fine.  The rest of the photos are there too, but they won't load a thumbnail or open an image.  They have the same size as normal photos, making me think that the photo data is there, but they just don't work for some reason or are corrupted or something... even though they were fine earlier... Any ideas?  I'll upload examples...

GOOD IMAGE!!!   Smiley Very Happy
IMG_8226.JPG 

BAD IMAGE... Smiley Mad
[INVALID FILE TYPE]

What's the rest of the story? RAW or JPEG, brand, size, and type of the card, etc.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob,  Thanks for the reply!  It's a 16GB Class 6 SDHC card made by "IRIS"

Photos are JPEG.  As I've been scouring the internet, I've tried all kinds of recovery software, the most info I've been able to figure out was by attempting to open via GIMP which threw the error, "unsupported marker type"

I'll add this info to the OP.

@tayzerker wrote:

Hi Bob,  Thanks for the reply!  It's a 16GB Class 6 SDHC card made by "IRIS"

Photos are JPEG.  As I've been scouring the internet, I've tried all kinds of recovery software, the most info I've been able to figure out was by attempting to open via GIMP which threw the error, "unsupported marker type"

I'll add this info to the OP.

Bad idea.  Do not go back and re-edit the original post.  Doing so breaks the flow of the conversation, which makes the issue difficult to later read and understand.

As for your card and your issue, are you trying to edit files one the card, or do you download them for edits?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
As for your card and your issue, are you trying to edit files one the card, or do you download them for edits?

@Waddizzle I couldn't view them after a few minutes on the card on the camera, so I pulled them off of the card to try to figure out how to fix them. They were unviewable in both locations...

@tayzerker wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Waddizzle I couldn't view them after a few minutes on the card on the camera, so I pulled them off of the card to try to figure out how to fix them. They were unviewable in both locations...

Sounds like a card issue.  Buy a new one.  Never heard of the “IRIS” brand.  Stick to major brands like Lexar and Sandisk.  Use full size cards, not the micro-SD cards with an adapter.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Sounds like a card issue.  Buy a new one.  Never heard of the “IRIS” brand.  Stick to major brands like Lexar and Sandisk.  Use full size cards, not the micro-SD cards with an adapter.

Yeah, I totally believe you.  Going to trash this card and get a name brand for future use (also a faster card, i'm afraid the write speed might have been too slow or something).  In the meantime, hopefully I can figure out how to save my family photo shoot Smiley Very Happy

@tayzerker wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Yeah, I totally believe you.  Going to trash this card and get a name brand for future use (also a faster card, i'm afraid the write speed might have been too slow or something).  In the meantime, hopefully I can figure out how to save my family photo shoot Smiley Very Happy

Canon DSLRs cannot use the fastest cards.  Stick to a UHS-1 card, 32GB.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Just as an experiment, I'd make copies of a few of the files that don't want to open. Make up a new name for the files like TEST01, TEST02, etc. Then try using a couple different file extenesions at the end of the file name, like .jpg, .jpeg, .JPG, .JPEG. And maybe try opening them on a Windows machine if you have access.

Nothing to lose...

Announcements