cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T1i creates unreadable videos

GreenLakeRebel
Apprentice

Videos created are not viewable on the camera and when uploaded to my computer the files are not playable

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"  

Other files from the same recording session are readable.

While taping the internal temperature warning flashed.  

Is this symptomatic of the high internal temperature?  

Is there any way to recover these videos?

It seems all files recorded after one such incident are unreadable, even when the camera is no longer hot.

Is that right?

What are best practices while taping when I get this error?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Mykolas
Authority

Hi GreenLakeRebel!

Thanks for posting.

The camera records in the MOV format, which should be recognized by many video software applications.  Have you tried to view the video with other applications?  Also, when you try to play the video back on the camera, do you receive any sort of error?

The temperature warning is just letting you know the internal temperature is nearing the maximum safe temperature for operation.  If it gets to that point, the camera will stop recording and shut itself down.  This is normal in some conditions, like when shooting many video clips back to back without allowing the camera to rest.  Higher ambient temperatures also contribute to this.  The best thing to do when this happens is to allow the camera to rest so the internal temperature can cool down some.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your response Mike.

It's not the .mov format that is a problem.  Some of the files stored during the session play fine, but others are corrupt.  They won't review on the camera, on my computer and fail to process successfully when uploaded to youtube.

It seems to be triggered when the internal temp warning starts.  The camera never shut off automatically, the light flashed. The files seem to be about the right size, so don't seem substantially incomplete.

I did shut off the camera when the flashing started, changed the battery to try to get cooler internals.  But that didn't really help much.

Do you have utilities to inspect files and see if they are recoverable?

Announcements