cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start with T3i or T7i

birish21
Contributor

Hello all,

So I was given a used T3i that has flash pop up problems and some minor wear and tear.  I have never really gotten into serious picture taking, but with our first child and an upcomming move to Guam, I have decided that I really want to graduate from cell phone pictures to DSLR photos.  My question is, should I stick with the T3i or go ahead and get the T7i and learn on that.  Currently the only lense I have is a 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. 

I want to do landscape, portrait, and macro shooting.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would go ahead and get the T7i since you will probably want to get videos of the little one.

T7i or 77D is worth the bump if you can afford it

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

So they have a starter pack with the 77D which includes the 18-55mm lens, an EF-S 55-250, EF 50mm f/1.8, and a 64GB card for 1255. Does that sound good?

I started with the T3I. Have now just bought a Canon T7I.  Got a GREAT deal from Greentoe.com on my T7I!  New (body) for under $700!  Will match is with my Sigma 18-250 and Canon 10-18.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I really want to graduate from cell phone pictures to DSLR photos."

Go for the T7i.  Without doubt it is the one you want.  Don't buy the 77D.  If you want an upgrade from the excellent T7i look at the 80D.

If you really want to up your game look at the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  This lens will really make the difference. This lens has a fast, constant aperture. That is very much more desirable that the variable, slow aperture kit lens.  You can buy the Canon EOS Rebel T7i DSLR Camera as a body only.  This combo is about as good as it gets in Canon photography.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

would the 2.8 make landscape pictures blurry?

Only if you want to. A low minimum aperture will *allow* you to get a narrow depth of field, but you aren't *required* to. You can always set F/8 - f/16 to get a wide DOF.

I think I got it.  Would it male more sense to get that lense and focus learning on the t3i and then upgrading the camera later?

I don't think so, but it is your budget. The T7i on the surface is not any more complicated than the T3i, just better by about 7 years.

Announcements