cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting RAW

Joak
Contributor
I’ve heard it’s better and really gives you more to work with in post.

I haven’t tried and I honestly don’t even know how. Is it possible with my T5? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

John_SD
Whiz

Since you're trying to figure out basic stuff like RAW, you might want to spend some time learning about your camera. 

www.canon.com/icpd

Joak
Contributor
I film with everything set on manual. I also use prime lenses. I haven’t had any real problems with filming. Again, I’ve just heard a lot about shooting RAW and how it makes the images even better when working in post, as it isn’t compressed...it gives you more latitude.

Better. I’m not trying to “fix” my crappy filming skills.

Joak
Contributor
And, from what I understand, there is nothing “basic” about shooting RAW. I think John_SD has the wrong idea.

I’m not talking about snapping stills in RAW. Film.

@Joakwrote:
And, from what I understand, there is nothing “basic” about shooting RAW. I think John_SD has the wrong idea.

I’m not talking about snapping stills in RAW. Film.

Actually, I think John_SD raises a good point.  It is hard to understand film making without having a good understanding of taking still photos.  You will encounter lighting issues that may seem insurmountable, but a strong background in photography will help you through those scenarios.

For example, controlling your lighting is crucial.  You want what you filmed today to have an identical exposure and white balance to what you filmed yesterday, and what you will film tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Joak
Contributor
Movies. Talkin’ pictures.
Announcements