cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting RAW

Joak
Contributor
I’ve heard it’s better and really gives you more to work with in post.

I haven’t tried and I honestly don’t even know how. Is it possible with my T5? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

Joak
Contributor
Here’s another one

https://youtu.be/EhH_5pqirVo

@Joakwrote:
Here’s another one

https://youtu.be/EhH_5pqirVo

Magic Lantern.

No wonder I did not understand what you were talking about.  Personally, I would never install that into my camera.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Joak
Contributor

Joak
Contributor
Is there some sort of risk involved?
Like downloading some crazy software that nobody has ever heard of to your computer?

Joak
Contributor
I’ve heard magic lantern.

Magic lantern
Magic lantern
Shoot video in raw
Magic lantern

But I have yet to hear any horror stories.

They use words like “hack” and “jail break” and it kind of makes me wary.

Being an official Canon site, we don't discuss Magic Lantern much, you are on your own.

You're welcome to discuss Magic Lantern, we just don't support it. 

If anything goes wrong with your camera, even if it's still within the warranty period, and it's found to be due to something someone has done to alter the camera either physically, or via firmware such as Magic Lantern, it will not likely be covered by the Canon warranty. 

"I’ve heard magic lantern.

But I have yet to hear any horror stories."

You won't until it turns your camera into an expensive paper weight.  Only Canon can fix it if ML screws up.

It should !  What ML does is "hack" the Canon firmware to do things Canon did not design the camera to do. Firmware is the heart of any camera. Without it a camera is just a lump of plastic and metal pieces.  When it works, it works, so what can I say?  In my 40 years of professional photography career, I never saw the need for ML.  I don't recommend you use it but it is your camera and your choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Joakwrote:
I’ve heard magic lantern.

Magic lantern
Magic lantern
Shoot video in raw
Magic lantern

But I have yet to hear any horror stories.

Your 1200D can´t use UHS-I and can´t really use the faster write speeds you need for raw video.

It is possible to overclock the memory bus to increase the write speed from to 69MB/s, but I think that will only work with UHS-I. It is a new feature and still risky. One SD card broken I read, perhaps due to too much volt. This feature is not for public yet, but I tried it and I went from 22 raw files to 29 raw files in burst mode with my 6D. If I break a SD card or the camera, I can just buy a new one with my company.

If I were you I would read the Magic Lantern forum instead and watch some youtube tutorials about 1200D.

I'm wondering if maybe there's a bit of pixel peeping involved here. Are you looking at individual frames of video and getting concerned that each frame isn't razor sharp? Keep in mind that even at full HD each frame is only 2MP compared to maybe 18MP for a still image shot with the same camera. Viewing a frame of 1920x1080 video at more than 100% magnification on your monitor is likely to leave you a little disappointed.

Are you shooting video in Auto or Manual exposure mode? Do you know what shutter speed and aperture the camera is using? Keep in mind that a lot of the time video is shot at 1/60th or 1/30th of a second.

To gain more control over your results consider shooting with manual exposure and manual white balance and be mindful of changing lighting conditions. You'll be able to maybe keep your shutter speed up a bit higher and have less post-processing to do when editing.

Announcements