Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Settings for video shoot like blade runner

Sorry for the eye catching thread name... its not exactly blade runner.. its the video of a synthezier thats called "decker;s dream" and aimed at that sound in the movie , and the video is  has a cool look i'd like imitate with the Canon EOS rebel t5.. and in LA. 

Im just very newbie at this. i did go through the tutorials about camera stuff.. but still, seems im a little off on what iam trying to achieve. 

So any advice on camera settings to get this look

https://vimeo.com/215312848

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Settings for video shoot like blade runner

I don't do video but the shots that look like the movie have a couple things I could name from still photography.  

One thing is the blacks are not deep black but rather dark grey and overall there is a low contrast washed out look. In Lightroom you could do that by setting the tone curve so it no longer starts in the bottom left corner but rather a little way up the left line. Or you could simply lift the blacks slider to clip off the blacks and lower the contrast slider. 

There is also a lot of lens flare. You could make that happen by shooting directly into point light sources with a lens that doesn't have a lot of expensive anti flare coatings and without a lens hood. 

Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
New Contributor

Re: Settings for video shoot like blade runner

thanks1