cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings for JPEG

Wolfie0827
Enthusiast

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the cameras default jpeg settings. I am wanting to change the compression and DPI settings if at all possible. If not it is not a big issue due to the fact that I shoot in RAW+JPEG  so I could always load the RAW images into my photo editor and save/export them at the settings I want. But I was hoping to be able to save a couple of steps and time by setting the camera to the settings I wanted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The DPI means nothing, and 72 is just Canon's standard Screen Display DPI.

You cannot change it in camera. And the only time you *might* have to worry about it is if you are submitting photos to ignorant  photo contests that require a specific value.

What counts in the number of pixels, which you should always set at "Large".

For compression, you can only choose two settings, super-fine and fine. You select them by choosing the smooth arc or the jagged arc in the image quality screen.

I always use Large super-fine.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Danny

Hi, Wolfie0827!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, search our knowledge base or contact our US-based technical support team at http://canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks and have a great day!

Sorry for lack of info, I knew that would be needed just got in too much of a hurry.

The camera is the T6i/750D and while the compression ratio/Quality of 98 is great the DPI is what I would really like to change, though I am also unsure if the camera is really saving the jpeg images in 72 DPI as it says it is or if that is just the default display value.

The DPI means nothing, and 72 is just Canon's standard Screen Display DPI.

You cannot change it in camera. And the only time you *might* have to worry about it is if you are submitting photos to ignorant  photo contests that require a specific value.

What counts in the number of pixels, which you should always set at "Large".

For compression, you can only choose two settings, super-fine and fine. You select them by choosing the smooth arc or the jagged arc in the image quality screen.

I always use Large super-fine.

That is what I thought too. But was not sure since some lower end cameras do save in that DPI so they are unsutable for printing in anything larger than 4x6. anothing in the specs gives any information for this which is why I was unsure if that was just the default display setting or the actual save setting. Thank you for the clarification on this.

What kvbarkley said is correct.  Cameras can not save DPI or make DPI since they don't have any. "But was not sure since some lower end cameras do save in that DPI..." so that is not possible.  DPI stands for dots-per-inch whcih is a printing term.

In order to get DPI you must print something.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Not true, the sensor on your camera consists of tiny light sensitive cells "dots" in the older sensors all you needed to see the light sensor cells was a magnifing glass. most newer ones are much smaller. Also DPI is for any "viewing device" not just printing. Such as computer monitor, your smartphones lcd, TV's and even you lcd viewer on your camera.

If you already knew all that, why did you ask?  You are wrong of course.  But understandable.

Again this is a badly misused term, DPI, it has nothing to do with the camera.  The resolution of a digital photo are its pixel dimensions. But you will still find a DPI or PPI setting within most photo software. This is where the confusion generally starts.

This is also a very dangerous setting in most photo software since it can cause it to re-size the photo.

Just remember the resolution of a digital photo is its pixels. The horizontal pixel dimension of a photo multiplied by its vertical pixel dimension. My 1Dx produces a digital image that is 5,184 x 3,456 pixels in large CR2 format. That can't be changed unless you select a medium or small file. There is no DPI until you make a print.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

If you already knew all that, why did you ask?  You are wrong of course.  But understandable.

Again this is a badly misused term, DPI, it has nothing to do with the camera.  The resolution of a digital photo are its pixel dimensions. But you will still find a DPI or PPI setting within most photo software. This is where the confusion generally starts.

This is also a very dangerous setting in most photo software since it can cause it to re-size the photo.

Just remember the resolution of a digital photo is its pixels. The horizontal pixel dimension of a photo multiplied by its vertical pixel dimension. My 1Dx produces a digital image that is 5,184 x 3,456 pixels in large CR2 format. That can't be changed unless you select a medium or small file. There is no DPI until you make a print.

Sorry, Ernie.  You have it wrong.  DPI describes how to display the image.  Changing DPI does not resize the photo.  It changes the way it is displayed, no matter what the display device might be printer, computer, smart phone, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Wolfie0827wrote:

Not true, the sensor on your camera consists of tiny light sensitive cells "dots" in the older sensors all you needed to see the light sensor cells was a magnifing glass. most newer ones are much smaller. Also DPI is for any "viewing device" not just printing. Such as computer monitor, your smartphones lcd, TV's and even you lcd viewer on your camera.

This is 100% correct.  DPI is not just for printing.  It is used by all “display” devices.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements