Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

SL1 Video quality compared to dedicated canon camcorder

[ Edited ]

How does the video quality of the SL1 compare to a dedicated camcorder like the Canon VIXIA HF R700? I am trying to decide between the two.  I have an XSi (2010)  so know the pictures are going to be good with the SL1.   I am in need of a good video camera for shooting kids' stuff mostly.   I originally started with a mind towards another dedicated camcorder, but then started wondering if the quality for those is any better than what i could just get simply upgrading my XSi to a new model and getting solid video while I am at it.   Thanks for any suggestions  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: SL1 Video quality compared to dedicated canon camcorder

clemsontyger wrote:

How does the video quality of the SL1 compare to a dedicated camcorder like the Canon VIXIA HF R700? I am trying to decide between the two.  I have an XSi (2010)  so know the pictures are going to be good with the SL1.   I am in need of a good video camera for shooting kids' stuff mostly.   I originally started with a mind towards another dedicated camcorder, but then started wondering if the quality for those is any better than what i could just get simply upgrading my XSi to a new model and getting solid video while I am at it.   Thanks for any suggestions  

As a minimum you'll want one of Canon's Dual-Pixel AF cameras. The SL1 isn't one of those. The least expensive option for Dual-Pixel AF is the 70D I believe. The 70D with EF-S 18-135 IS STM lens is available refurbished direct from Canon for $1199

Occasional Contributor

Re: SL1 Video quality compared to dedicated canon camcorder

Thanks much.   I'm definitely not in that price range, and after thinking about this more I believe the camcorder is going to be the better choice for what i need to use it for.   SL1 can come later in the year to upgrade my old SLR