cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing my lost/stolen XSi...advice needed.

clemsontyger
Contributor

Some time this week my 5 year old Xsi was either lost or stolen...likely stolen. So now I am unexpectedly in the market for a new camera. It's been a while since I've even checked out any new DSLRs, but after some research have thus far narrowed my options down to the SL1, T3i, or T5i.  Obviously I know the T5i is the best of these three entry levels, but just wondering if the extra $ is worth it.

I know that the SL1's advantage is that it is a smaller body, but that is not a big selling point for me. Aside from that, is there a noticeable difference in between the SL1 and the other two as far as quality of picture, shooting options/features/modes, etc?

I will primarily be taking shots of family, vacation, kids playing sports, etc. No expectations to ever become a pro or shoot for anything other than really my own enjoyment/pleasure.  I have read that the T3i may be lacking as far as action shots when compared to the other two.  

Thus far I've priced them on Amazon at $499, $549, and $699 respectively.

Can I safely assume that no matter which one of these three I go with I am going to experience better shots than the old XSi?

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority
Honestly I would either go he cheapest route with T3i, or I would preorder the new T6i. I would not get a T5i now, because the T6i is only $50 bucks more, and for once it represents a real serious improvement in a new Rebel model. It will have 19 AF points, and all of them are cross type. Also has 24mp vs the older 18mp, although that is not as big a deal as he much improved autofocus.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks Scott.   So considering the action shots, do you think I'm good with the T3i over the SL1?   I will check out the t6 as well.

amfoto1
Authority

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

All three models are 18MP cameras using very similar sensors, so there's little if any difference with respect to image quality. T3i does use a one generation older processor that may be slightly more limited in a few respects.

You're correct, the SL1 emphasizes compactness and light weight, if that's important to you. In keeping with the idea of compactness, I don't think there's a vertical/battery grip available for the SL1, if you like to use one. Either of the other two can be optionally fitted with a battery grip. And the SL1 uses a smaller battery than the other two, which gives it a bit less shots per charge (avg 380 vs 440). It also does not have an articulated LCD screen, while the other two do.

There are a number of comparisons of T3i vs T5i on the Internet (there was a T4i, but it was a fairly short-lived model, Canon intro'd the T5i with a few new features very quickly). To summarize key differences:

- T5i has Digic 5 processor vs T3i using Digic 4. SL1 uses Digic 5.

- T5i introduced Touch Screen controls in a DSLR. T3i andSL1 don't have this.

- T5i can shoot 5 frames per second vs 3.7 fps with T3i. SL1 max is 4 fps.

- T5i has 9-point AF, with all 9 the more sensitive "cross type/dual axis". T3i has 9-points too, but only center point is "cross type/dual axis" & 8 other AF points are "single axis". SL1's AF is pretty similar to T3i's.

- T5i has enhanced AF in Live View and when shooting video and is optimized for STM lenses (also useful for video).  SL1 has similar, while T3i does not.

- T5i ISO range is 100-12800 (expands to 25600) vs T3i's range of 100-6400 (expands to 12800). SL1's ISO range is same as T5i's.

- T5i can optionally be fitted with GPE2 GPS module, T3i cannot.

Both SL1 and T5i were introduced in March, 2013. The T3i is about two years older. It was introduced in February, 2011.

Only you can say what's important to you among the above, and if a higher priced model is justified in your mind. Any of these cameras will be a good replacement and even a nice upgrade to your missing XSi.

You might also look here for comparisons and more extensive reviews.

EDIT:

For action shots, there would be little difference between SL1 and T3i. T5i would be a bit  better.

I have to agree with previous response... you may want to wait for T6i (which is supposed to be available next week). It promises even better AF system than T5i. So while T5i would be a step up for action shooting, the T6i will be even more-so because it's getting what appears to be the same 19-point AF system as 70D. I think it also will have the 70D's  "Dual Pixel" Live View and video AF system, which is a significant step up from earlier LV/vid AF. (Note: The 70D/T6i's 19-point system is similar to, tho not quite as customizable as the original 7D, which has been an excellent action/sports camera. The nwe 7DII has a very impressive 65-point AF system that takes AF to a whole new level.)

However, for action shooting the camera is only part of the autofocus equation. The lens used is also very important. Micro motor lenses are slower focusing. STM are better (and quieter/smoother for video), while USM are the fastest and most accurate (best for still captures). Larger aperture lenses also generally offer higher focusing performance.

Besides some very significant AF enhancements, the T6i is also getting an entirely new 24MP sensor (vs 18MP for all the above) and will be using the latest generation Digic 6 processor.

There's also a slightly more expensive T6s coming out very soon, which is very similar to T6i but with a few more enhancements for both still photography and videography. The thing I noticed immediately was that the T6s has a top LCD and rear controls more similar to 70D.

See more side-by-side comparisons here.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

ScottyP
Authority
You could shoot sports with the T3i. You would get more keepers with a 19 point all cross type AF system like the T6i, T6s, or 70d.

I really didn't see much real change between T2i, T3i, T4i and T5i, but I really do think this new T6i would be a big improvement in action shots.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can I safely assume that no matter which one of these three I go with I am going to experience better shots than the old XSi?"

Now to actually answer your question, yes.  Any of these will perform better than your old camera.

I would strongly recommend you do get the T5i or better wait for the T6i solely because you sound like someone that will keep it for a long time.  The lastest camera will stay current longer than the others.  Make sense?

The T3i and SL1 are getting a little long in the tooth!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks to all for the much appreciated responses.   I do think I'll go for the T5i over the SL1 or T3.    I know the T6 is going to be a much improved model over the T5i from what I am reading/hearing, however I don't know if my budget will go quite that high.   For instance on Amazon I'm seeing the T5i for $699, and the T6i with lens going for $899.   Only two hundred difference, but I've already used the "only $200 difference" with Mrs to justify the T5i over the T3/SL 🙂   Not sure I can double that to "only $400".    Considering what I'm upgrading from, I do think the T5i would be a vast improvement.    

"... I do think the T5i would be a vast improvement."

It will and you will love it.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... I do think the T5i would be a vast improvement."

It will and you will love it.  Smiley Happy

I second that, as I have just made the same decision (although my 450D XSi was not stolen, so I get to keep it and throw the shorter lens on it)

Announcements