cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel t5i 18-55mm pop up flash issue

ianlawrence
Apprentice
Im a beginner and my problem is that my new t5i is not working anymore in manual or auto int mode . I test it in the dark room, in auto mode, the flash is firing but the image is dark. Any suggestions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Appears we may have found a fix.

Thankfully we still had the camera under a two year protection plan so we sent it in for repair. It has been retruned to us with the repair summary noting that the Strobe Unit has been replaced. This appears to have fixed the issue. The flash is now synchronized with the shutter.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35

It seems to be a manufacturing/or project defect. I am also experiencing the same issue. Exactly the same.

It´s a problem related to syncronization. And Canon should know and treat customers with transparency indicating this requires repair.

I had a problem once with a Sony camcorder that me and a friend of mine bought together. Both presented the same defect and SONY fixed it with no charge. It was treated like a recall. 

If it took so long for you in US to figure out the how to fix the problem guess how complex is here down south in Brazil.

It´s a recurrent problem but not recognized by Canon. There´s a new post (titled "Help...Rebel T5i pop up flash issue") a few days ago (‎05-30-2017) and no clear direction.. 

yes, it is very disappointing when I bout my T5i I paid over $1000 CAD for it and now I haven't used it in over a year because it is too frustrating to take pictures. It seems like 75% of all pictures turn out dark and that's just not fun.

I don't have the money to buy another camera so I'm having to use my phone 😞 

I just wish they would at least read these forums and give us options on what to do besides sending it in and pay another $1000 bucks to get it fixed.

Hi dj-lucas!

Thanks for posting on the Canon USA Forum!

We'd recommend reaching out to our friends at Canon Canada for support. They can be reached at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

I have been following this forum for a while and was hoping to have a solution I could fix myself as well since the couple hundred bucks to have my camera checked out is a little pricey and inconvenient.  I have always used Canon cameras, but this flash thing has been a real disappoinment. 

Who is charging you for just an estimate?  As far as I know, Canon does not charge you for an estimate.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ABorger
Apprentice
OP here: Funny enough, I turned it to scene auto the other day, flash popped up, and it worked! I have used the no-flash setting ever since this issue started, about 2 years now, and I would test it every now and then. Haven't tried it again, but maybe time and some non-use periods(like dj-Lucas, I mainly use my phone since it's always handy) will get it going again. 😕 dunno, but I'll keep trying until I can afford an upgrade.
Announcements