cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6i stopped working

xojessica
Contributor

Hi! I attended a photo workshop yesterday and today and suddenly my camera stopped working. I can turn it on, but I can't manuever through any of the settings - menu, won't auto focus...nothing. I have changed lenses; used different memory cards; taken out my battery and replaced it. It may turn on briefly and allow me to take a photo, but I then can't review it or navigate through any of the menus or settings. Of course I am on vacation and need my camera, HELP!!  

16 REPLIES 16

Did the photo workshop involve a lot of video shooting? We've heard of cases where a user has shot a lot of video and the camera has apparently overheated. This weakens one or more components on the main board; and the next time the camera is turned on, the component fails. Overstressed components are more likely to fail when the unit is turned on, because that often involves a sudden power surge.

Will it let you reset to factory settings? Sometimes that helps. Otherwise, if you didn't bring a spare camera, I can't think of anything to suggest except to try to take it to a repair shop for inspection.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, I didn't shoot videos. However, I did shoot RAW and had the camera on solid for about 5 hours yesterday and again today and shot about 1000 photos each day. I am also on the ocean and it's HOT!!

@xojessica wrote:

No, I didn't shoot videos. However, I did shoot RAW and had the camera on solid for about 5 hours yesterday and again today and shot about 1000 photos each day. I am also on the ocean and it's HOT!!

1000 photos a day shouldn't be much of a challenge to the camera. But I hope it didn't get splashed with seawater, that can be very damaging, especially to a Rebel, since they're not very well sealed.

Bob

No, I was not close enough to or in the water. It was working right along and then abruptly became an issue.

I was testing the battery on my t6i last week by leaving it on all day and part of the night with no problems. I charged the battery on the 16th of this month and the battery still shows full. I wake it up to take pictures from my window but I am constantly turning off the screen.

Canon EOS Rebel T6i / 18 - 55mm IS STM / 55 - 250mm IS STM

@nyc wrote:

I was testing the battery on my t6i last week by leaving it on all day and part of the night with no problems. I charged the battery on the 16th of this month and the battery still shows full. I wake it up to take pictures from my window but I am constantly turning off the screen.

You need to better familiarize yourself with the manual.  

The camera "remembers" the last display screen that was being shown when it was turned off.  It can display that screen when you power it up, or wake it back up.  That sounds like what you might be seeing.

Have you reformatted the SD card?  It should be pretty full, if you're taking 1000 shots per day.  If you have never performed a "low level format" on the SD camera while it was in the camera, that could be a potential problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@nyc wrote:

You need to better familiarize yourself with the manual.  

The camera "remembers" the last display screen that was being shown when it was turned off.  It can display that screen when you power it up, or wake it back up.  That sounds like what you might be seeing.

Have you reformatted the SD card?  It should be pretty full, if you're taking 1000 shots per day.  If you have never performed a "low level format" on the SD camera while it was in the camera, that could be a potential problem.

I think we're getting two threads intertwined here. It was Jessica, not "nyc", who had the two 1000-shot days.

Bob

Thank you Robert,

I was mentioninig that I keep my T6i turned on all day and part of night with no problems at all in reply to the post that xojessica said "I did shoot RAW and had the camera on solid for about 5 hours yesterday"

Canon EOS Rebel T6i / 18 - 55mm IS STM / 55 - 250mm IS STM

@nyc wrote:

Thank you Robert,

I was mentioninig that I keep my T6i turned on all day and part of night with no problems at all in reply to the post that xojessica said "I did shoot RAW and had the camera on solid for about 5 hours yesterday"

Having the camera switch set to 'ON' doesn't mean the camera is on; It will go into a sleep mode in a few minutes, which is effectively the same as having it OFF as far as battery drain. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements