cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6I Error message SD card

Martinriv
Apprentice

I have a problem with my camera Rebel T6i - That no longer recognizes my SD card ? It is indicated at the botom of the screen ERR    ISO A  ???? Thats it with all my SD card ? What's happening ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is no problem with using micro-SD cards in adapters. Canon has not recommended either using or not using them. Their requirements are that they be Class 6 (I recommend Cl-10) or higher. The camera doesn't care if the recording medium is Standard, Mini, or Micro as they all behave the same and are all built to the same standards. Canon is a member of the SD Association that sets the standards.

The one thing you do not want to do is be changing your card. Even though it is quite often offered as an option for people, the most common cause of SD card failure is mechanical. Usually the connectors will fail after repeated insertions and removals when there is a failure. However, if you need to change your card, then go ahead, just be careful and use a SD card case. Leave any Mini SD cards in their holder. My suggestion would be to just use a 32 or even 64GB* card and leave it. Use a USB cable to d/l the card when ever possible,

Since you have tried several cards all to the same effect, I would suggest that it ain't gunna be the card(s)**. Look inside the card slot with a small light or use a mirror and check for any debris. (NOTE: debris can only get into the card holder if you change your cards.) Also look to see if any of the contacts are loose or damaged. If you see any debris then use a blower to remove it. If there is any obvious (not too likely, but sometimes you can see damage) bad contacts then that is your problem.

If that is the problem or you still don't know, you will need to decide if you want to pay for the repair or scrap the camera. Unless you are still covered by the warranty, it can be expensive. The T6i is a good camera and probably worth having it repaired but I don't like telling people how to spend their money.

* I have heard some complaints about 64+GB cards as they use a different formating than 32GB cards. I haven't seen any myself as I use 32GBs in my cameras. 

** It wouldn't hurt to look at the cards while you have them out. Check the contacts for bent, warped, loose, or even missing ones. The Standard size cards have 9 contacts and the Micro has 8. One of the Std contacts is reserved for future applications and does nothing.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Martinriv wrote:

I have a problem with my camera Rebel T6i - That no longer recognizes my SD card ? It is indicated at the botom of the screen ERR    ISO A  ???? Thats it with all my SD card ? What's happening ?

What type of card are you using?  Brand, capacity, full size or micro-SD?

What happens if you take the card out and turn on the camera?  Removing any lens, and powering up?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

i use micro sd in adaptor 64g and also 16g and i also use a 4g card. It's happen today. Before i use the same card and it's work.

The option on the camera work's well but i can't take picture because i don't have card in the camera. I need to remove the battery a few second to reset the camera and access to option. But when i put my car everything does'nt work.

@Martinriv wrote:

i use micro sd in adaptor 64g and also 16g and i also use a 4g card. It's happen today. Before i use the same card and it's work.

The option on the camera work's well but i can't take picture because i don't have card in the camera. I need to remove the battery a few second to reset the camera and access to option. But when i put my car everything does'nt work.

The use of micro-SD cards, with an adapter, is not recommended by Canon.  In fact, Canon discourages using micro-SD cards and adapters.  Your instruction manual lists recommned card types, and micro-SD is not one of them.  So, save the micro-SD card for a device that uses it directly, without the adapter.

But, what about your other cards?  Do they work properly?  Have you looked inside of the card slot for foreign objects, or damaged contacts?

I realy dont understant ! All my card does'nt work. Now i format my card on my pc it's a 4gb SDHC toshiba memory card. I put in the camera and it's doing the same thing. in the lens i'm watching and Err flashing and in the bottom right it's write ISO A and not flashing. 

@Martinriv wrote:

I realy dont understant ! All my card does'nt work. Now i format my card on my pc it's a 4gb SDHC toshiba memory card. I put in the camera and it's doing the same thing. in the lens i'm watching and Err flashing and in the bottom right it's write ISO A and not flashing. 

Memory cards should be formatted in the camera, with the low level format mode enabled.  Nothing complicated about never using the micro-SD card in your camera again.  They are nor reliable, and many of them will not work, anyway.  Make sure that you use a major brand of card like Lexar or SanDisk.  Personally, I avoid, PNY, Sony, JVC, and a few others that you would think would make reliable cards.  They don’t.  I have hard cards, or thumb drives,  by those three brands fail on me.

Double check that the write protect tab is in the enable position. 

Try resetting the camera, both without and then with a card.

There is no problem with using micro-SD cards in adapters. Canon has not recommended either using or not using them. Their requirements are that they be Class 6 (I recommend Cl-10) or higher. The camera doesn't care if the recording medium is Standard, Mini, or Micro as they all behave the same and are all built to the same standards. Canon is a member of the SD Association that sets the standards.

The one thing you do not want to do is be changing your card. Even though it is quite often offered as an option for people, the most common cause of SD card failure is mechanical. Usually the connectors will fail after repeated insertions and removals when there is a failure. However, if you need to change your card, then go ahead, just be careful and use a SD card case. Leave any Mini SD cards in their holder. My suggestion would be to just use a 32 or even 64GB* card and leave it. Use a USB cable to d/l the card when ever possible,

Since you have tried several cards all to the same effect, I would suggest that it ain't gunna be the card(s)**. Look inside the card slot with a small light or use a mirror and check for any debris. (NOTE: debris can only get into the card holder if you change your cards.) Also look to see if any of the contacts are loose or damaged. If you see any debris then use a blower to remove it. If there is any obvious (not too likely, but sometimes you can see damage) bad contacts then that is your problem.

If that is the problem or you still don't know, you will need to decide if you want to pay for the repair or scrap the camera. Unless you are still covered by the warranty, it can be expensive. The T6i is a good camera and probably worth having it repaired but I don't like telling people how to spend their money.

* I have heard some complaints about 64+GB cards as they use a different formating than 32GB cards. I haven't seen any myself as I use 32GBs in my cameras. 

** It wouldn't hurt to look at the cards while you have them out. Check the contacts for bent, warped, loose, or even missing ones. The Standard size cards have 9 contacts and the Micro has 8. One of the Std contacts is reserved for future applications and does nothing.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Claiming that there's no reason not to use micro-SD cards with adapters is like saying that it's OK to have your car two quarts low on oil because it seems to run OK and what could possibly go wrong?

And not removing an SD card because you might damage the contacts is like saying don't rotate your tires because you might strip the lug nuts.

Just my opinion, of course.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Claiming that there's no reason not to use micro-SD cards with adapters is like saying that it's OK to have your car two quarts low on oil because it seems to run OK and what could possibly go wrong?

And not removing an SD card because you might damage the contacts is like saying don't rotate your tires because you might strip the lug nuts.

Just my opinion, of course.

Yes, some people are a couple of quarts low. In my experience, straw man arguments though are never very convincing. 

HINT, there are two major types of failures possible with an SD card. The first is storage failure where the flash media becomes corrupted. It happens but usually takes many read/writes. SD read/writes are rated in the millions, but do happen. SD cards manufactured by the SD Association's members have an extremely low failure rate. Most cards that fail, whether mini or standard, are counterfeit. If you find yourself having to re-format a SD card, the chances are good that it is getting some bad sectors and probably should be replaced.

The second is mechanical / hardware failure. That is where the card can not work because of a physical problem. Mechanical failure comes from use and wear. Yes, if you never change your tires then the chances of having a stripped lug nut is infinitesimally small to the point of saying it is zero. BUT, every time you change your tires you increase the probability that you will strip the nut. The contacts on the card and in the camera are extremely thin and relatively fragile. Most people never experience a mechanical failure with an SD card. But those that do most likely also removed the cards repeatedly. And, I assume, those who stripped the wheel lugs also changed their tires. That does not mean, nor should it be suggested, that changing an SD card or your tires will result in a mechanical failure. Changing your tires can be a good thing and removing an SD card from a camera is sometimes a necessity. I have not removed the card in my 80D since I installed it over a year ago.

If you don't want to use a mini or micro card then don't. If you want to remove your SD card and use a card reader all the time or insert the card into your computer, then go for it. That is an option for you and if you are careful, will most likely not give any problems. But it is wrong to suggest that a micro SD card should not be used or that Canon doesn't recommend them. Their quality and functionally is the same as a standard size SD card and Canon has not published anything that I have seen suggesting not to use them. All references to not using a micro SD card come from anecdotal experience of someone's cousin's teacher's best friend's neighbor having an issue. 

All I can say is that in the 3+ years that I've been following this forum, we've fielded enough complaints that turned out to be solved by stopping the use of micro-SD cards to convince many of us that it isn't a smart idea. And if you believe that the contacts are a memory card's weak spot, why use a setup that has two sets of contacts instead of one?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements