cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6 Flash

TightGit
Contributor

Good afternoon.

I've just bought a Canon 1300D (I believe also known as Rebel T6) and, being a complete novice at photography, I'm using it in Auto Mode.

I'm finding that the flash pops up and fires, even in bright sunlight.

This seems all wrong to me but, as I said, I'm not an expert.

Is this correct, please, or have I got a faulty camera?

Many thanks for any advice.

Peter.

31 REPLIES 31

Mine is the 760D. As for Canon, the fewer the number of digits, the better the camera. 8^)

@TightGit wrote:

Waddizzle,

Sorry I haven't thanked you before for your comments, but I've been waiting over the weekend hoping that kvbarkley would report back.

In his abscence, I wonder if any other Rebel T6 owners would lower themselves and try the auto mode when nobody is looking!

A reminder that I'm asking if it's possible to take a picture in auto without the flash popping up as mine does it everytime.

Thank you.

Yes, the settings on either side of the Green [A] behave like that.  You have to manually raise the flash, either by pressing the lighning bolt button on top of the camera near the Main Wheel, or by selecting a similar icon in the [Q], Quick Menu.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry, but for some reason, I'm still not getting an answer to my query.

It's probably my fault , for not being clear, so let's try once more.

This is what my new Canon 1300D does when the main dial is on the green "Auto" position:

The flash unit on the top pops up when I half press the button, and the flash fires when I take the picture.

This happens EVERY time I take a picture, yes EVERY time (sorry for the capitals), in fact it seems it's impossible to take a picture in Auto, without the flash firing.

Is this normal behaviour for the 1300D, or have I got a faulty one, please?

You are much more likely to get a direct answer if you call Canon.

You are looking for a small subset of people on these boards:

Those that have a T6.

Those that use green square mode.

@TightGit wrote:

This happens EVERY time I take a picture, yes EVERY time (sorry for the capitals), in fact it seems it's impossible to take a picture in Auto, without the flash firing.

Is this normal behaviour for the 1300D, or have I got a faulty one, please? 

You were not being very clear until this message. Return it.  It is not right that the flash fires everytime even when there's enough light and there is not a backlit situation.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

JosieW
Apprentice
It's normal for the flash to work in auto during the daylight IF your subject is back lit or is in harsh light. The flash helps to eliminate shadows (raconteurs, long nose ahawdows)!caused by the sun. I use my T6 in manual and rely on my flash during the day if the natural light is challenging to work with.
I hope that this helps.

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast
The answer to your question is YES. You will find that it is because the camera thinks you are shooting into the sun. If you are shooting people, that leaves their faces dark. So some fill flash in full sun has a purpose.

As you think, that isn't always a good idea. Though generally harmless, you look silly in public and do drain the battery.

By shooting semi-auto you will avoid that but still be able to raise the flash when needed.

You should try it out first. Trying some of the controls can turn your pictures into real treasures.

Good luck.

@Mr_Fusion wrote:
The answer to your question is YES. You will find that it is because the camera thinks you are shooting into the sun. If you are shooting people, that leaves their faces dark. So some fill flash in full sun has a purpose.

As you think, that isn't always a good idea. Though generally harmless, you look silly in public and do drain the battery.

By shooting semi-auto you will avoid that but still be able to raise the flash when needed.

You should try it out first. Trying some of the controls can turn your pictures into real treasures.

Good luck.

If you mind looking silly in public, serious photography probably isn't for you.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

If you mind looking silly in public, serious photography probably isn't for you.

Good point.

tracirasmusson
Apprentice

I've had this problem as well.  This is an old message so you have probably returned your camera or have found some other solution.  I figured that I would share my input since I think that I have the answer.  The flash sensor relies on light hitting it.  If you have a hat on, it shades the sensor so it thinks that you need the flash.  I've had this happen as well when I've done outdoor shots with a hat on.  Solution is to change the camera to the "no flash" option for these shots (or take off your hat). 

Cheers my friend...

Traci

Announcements