cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5i trying to use a flash diffuser for pop up flash

Hafftime
Apprentice

I have a rebel t5i and am trying to use a flash diffuser for the pop up flash. It attaches to the camera using

the hot shoe. When I slide the diffuser onto the hot shoe, the flash will not fire. If I slide the diffuser half way off the 

hot shoe it fires. I am assuming it has something to do with the contacts on the hot shoe. The diffuser attachment that

slides onto the hot shoe is plastic. Is there an override so I can get the pop up flash to fire with the diffuser on the hot shoe?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am having difficulty picturing what sort of "diffuser" you are talking about.  I have never heard of a diffuser designed to use with the built-in flash, which doesn't mean no one sells them.  I've just never heard of one before.  It almost sounds like you may not be using the right gear to achieve your objectives.

The hot shoe has several contacts.  The camera can use those contacts to determine when something is attached to the hot shoe.  When the camera does detect something on the hot shoe, it may disable the internal flash.  In fact, it should disable the internal flash because the built-in flash must swing upwards, and will Mose likely strike whatever is on the hot shoe.

I don't have the T5i, but check the menus for options to use an external flash, or the built-in flash.  I know there should be a setting to disable the internal flash.  There might be one to disable the hot shoe, if your "diffuser" does not need to make an electronic connection to the camera.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks

ScottyP
Authority

This is entirely non-responsive to your question but if you are getting into flash beyond the capabilities of the pop up flash, it makes sense to just go ahead and get a speedlite. They are much more powerful, and because the head aims up or to the side, they can do indirect bounce flash.  Bouncing off a big ceiling or wall makes a lot more diffuse than even a large on-camera diffuser can, and it is a lot more attractive and a lot less "2D" than direct on-camera flash, and it also ensures you'll never have "red eye".   Definitely one of those things that helps elevate an image beyond the "snapshot" category. 

If I were buying flash today I'd look hard at the 430ex 2 RT.  For $299.00 or a bit less on a sale, you get a very capable flash featuring a built-in radio trigger.

If you ever decide to take it yet another step, into off-camera flash, this lets you do that. If you buy a radio trigger, or even a 2nd 430 RT, you can trigger an off-camera flash from your camera and get a lot nicer result and more flexibility than even bounce flash can give you. 

There are also 3rd party Chinese flashes from Yongnuo. They are less than half the price and although they might not be quite as dependable as OEM, they should do everything you'd need as a non-professional photog.  Half price means getting multiple flashes is much easier on the budget. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

diverhank
Authority

@Hafftime wrote:

I have a rebel t5i and am trying to use a flash diffuser for the pop up flash. It attaches to the camera using

the hot shoe. When I slide the diffuser onto the hot shoe, the flash will not fire. If I slide the diffuser half way off the 

hot shoe it fires. I am assuming it has something to do with the contacts on the hot shoe. The diffuser attachment that

slides onto the hot shoe is plastic. Is there an override so I can get the pop up flash to fire with the diffuser on the hot shoe?

Thanks.

There is a micro-switch on the camera flash shoe.  When something is mounted, the switch is depressed telling the camera that there's an external flash and do not pop up and use the built-in flash.  So this flash diffuser is using the hotshoe which is the wrong thing to do...I don't think there is a way to disable the micro-switch but check your manual for it anyways.

My advice is to do away with the built-in flash and invest in an external flash you'll be glad in the long run.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements