cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5 screen going black

mishi
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with my camera after accidentally leaving it in the car under a rain jacket in 23 fahrenheit. I know! Very stupid! And I am pretty amateur so started to use it the morning after. The temperature did gradually build up to above freezing (in the car) before I used it. 

Anyways, I tried to take some pictures today and it would take a couple then the screen would go black. I tried to remove the battery and sdhc card and reinsert them (obviously while off). Didn't work. I then tried to do it again after another go with taking pictures and if I attempted to open the battery cartridge it would beep. There was also a red light on consistently once it started malfunctioning while on. 

So synopsis because I am rambly:

Left camera in cold

Can take one or two pictures

Camera screen not responsive but shutter working

Red light

Beeping when attempting to open battery cartridge

Thanks for any help. Sorry I know nothing!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up taking the lens off and the battery and SD card out and let it chill out for a couple hours. After that, I formatted the card on my camera which luckily only had a few terrible pictures on it and now it seems to be working great. Thank you for the quick reply and I will definitely look to your advice if I somehow forget my camera again (which I really hope I don't). 

Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try resetting the camera to factory defaults, by using the menu selection.  

If the camera went through a cycle of freezing temperatures, then there is a chance that the battery could have been damaged.  Make sure that it is fully recharged.

What type of memory card are you using?  If you are using a microSD card w/adapter, then the adapter went through a freezing temperature cycle, too, and could have warped and changed shape.  Never use microSDs and adapters in a device that has a full size SD slot.  Adapters are intended for temporary use, not permanent.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I ended up taking the lens off and the battery and SD card out and let it chill out for a couple hours. After that, I formatted the card on my camera which luckily only had a few terrible pictures on it and now it seems to be working great. Thank you for the quick reply and I will definitely look to your advice if I somehow forget my camera again (which I really hope I don't). 

Thanks!!!

Announcements