cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3i sustained drop damage, LCD only displays backlighting, but no image

lkvee
Apprentice

Rebel T3i sustained drop damage. Still takes pictures as expected with no surprises. Plastic is deformed to the right of the HMDI port.

IMG_20180211_130644.jpg

LCD is NOT cracked BUT there's no image, only backlight.

IMG_20180211_130644.jpg

I've reseated both cables going to the LCD screen board.  There's no change in behavior.   I can replace the LCD and I want to be sure that's the root cause.   Previous owner believed repair would cost "$200+" but didn't go into repair detail. The plus part worries me. Will take apart body next and reseat one more cable and was hoping more people can offer input on possible root cause.

I'm wondering whether to replace the LCD alone, the LCD screen board alone, both the LCD and its associated screen board, or worse, something else. 

6 REPLIES 6

lly3988
Rising Star

Not sure if Canon is still servicing this model. It seems not a bad idea to check if the wire connection is loose. It is a simple fix if so.

If LCD display is broken, you may consider to replacing the LCD screen + backlight. (It costs US$12 with free shipping) However,  It may takes some weeks to arrive in the USA.

There is a tutorial online. (How to Repair Your Broken Canon EOS LCD Screen - Rebel T3i / 600d)

Good luck.

Since the camera has been droped, you should probably worry more about the damage you don't see. That's what the "plus part" is.

Was the lens dropped too? Have you taken test pictures to check out the image quality, autofocus, etc.?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The camera has an HDMI output.  Connect it to a televsion.  Cross your thumbs, and hope for the best.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I took a few pictures with a never-before-used 4GB SD card (class 4).

All images reduced in size by 50% with IrfanView

All images captured in auto-everything mode.

Used a 35-80mm lens with flash and low-lighting on this one:

IMG_5398.jpg

Went outside for more pictures but the shutter speed was very slow and while the shutter fired, no picture was caputured. I may have used the kit lens that also got dropped.

Changed to 18-55mm and took these pictures:

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

Not sure if there's anything wrong with the body or the 18-55mm lens.    

Might take a while to find a mini-HDMI to full-HDMI cable around the house.   I'm actually confident there's one ... somewhere.

There is an easy way. If you have an android cell phone, install the DSLR controller app on it. Connect an OTG usb cable and you will have a disply on the android phone.

Still it will not be the same as the Canon menu. But it may rule out something and the camera will be usable at least without repair.

If you don't have an android phone or do not want to pay for the app, connect the camera via USB to your PC and try EOS utility to operate.

http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-utility/

HDMI cable connection to a TV may solve playback problem. It won't help to operate at all. But no harm to try to make sure that the HDMI port is not damaged.

Announcements