cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T1i unable to read SD card

awallrising
Contributor

Very recently my Rebel T1i has been telling me it can't read the cards I typically use with it without problem, 16 & 32 GB SanDisk. I know the cards aren't the problem b/c they work in my scanner. I've tried reformatting them without any luck. Any ideas on the problem or the fix?

9 REPLIES 9

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've tried reformatting them without any luck."

...in the camera, not the computer?  If low level setting is available in theT5, use it too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Reformatting the camera itself. My card reader reads the cards so I know it isn't the cards. I can't reformat & me camera says there is no card when the cards are clearly in. All of the typical things I'm used to doing are not working. I've had this camera for years with no problems. Nothing happened (i.e., camera wasn't dropped) & all of the sudden I went to insert a card, the camera said no card was there. I tried other cards & formatting & checked to see that the cards worked with my computer. Clearly it is the camera card reader that is malfunctioning.

"If low level setting is available in theT5, use it too."

I don't understand what you mean by this?

Thank you!

There are two kinds of format. But now, I doubt a low level format will help.

Call Canon service.  Your camera may be done.  If it needs repair it may cost more than a newer model.

EB

Ugh! I am definitely not in the market for a new camera. What a bummer if it's a big repair or worse. I will contact Canon. Thanks!

I came up with a low-tech fix. I blew air into the card reader in the camera. Something must have gotten in there that was causing the error b/c everything is working just fine now.

Thanks again for your help!

@awallrising wrote:

I came up with a low-tech fix. I blew air into the card reader in the camera. Something must have gotten in there that was causing the error b/c everything is working just fine now.

Ha! Remember that fix for when you're among those answering, not asking, the questions!  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

"Remember that fix for when you're among those answering, ..."

I would be skeptical about this "fix".  SD cards are not as susceptible to dirt as CF cards are.  Their pins don't bend for instance or any of that stuff.  The mere fact of inserting and removing the SD card is usually enough to keep the few, big, contacts clean.

I hope it works for the OP's sake.

EB

again, it wasn't the SD cards, they are working with no problem. The problem was with the camera. There could have somehow been something inside the camera, how I don't know because it's open for a few seconds at a time. But at least it's fixed for now. Time will tell.

@awallrising wrote:

I'd bet that your issue was caused by the infamous slot monster, which is related to the notorious turf monster that trips football players.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements