cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: T3i- Movie recording has stopped automatically

dpalkowski
Contributor

I just bought a brand new sandisk 'extreme pro' 32g card, and set the camera on a windowsill trying to record a jar. It still stopped recording after a few seconds.  It has done this with the last three cards I've tried in it. This is pretty much a brand new camera.

15 REPLIES 15

Magic Lantern so far has done the trick, by allowing me to slightly lower the data rate. It also has a tweak that will automatically start recording another file if one stops, though I haven't tried to see if it applies to the 4gig cutoff too, no reason it shouldn't.  That is still clunky, since you obviously lose several frames inbetween files, but since one should be using two cameras anyway, shouldn't matter too much.

Canon should just give the magic lantern guys a bunch of money and buy their app.  Way better than what you get with the off-the-shelf camera.

I find this answer puzzling. I have several FS200 video cameras and they have no problem recording many files automaticfor two hours and more. Obviously the intermittent and brief operation of the EOS T3i 0-600D and othere DSLRs makes this feature nearly worthless. Is Cannon really saying that they won't fix it. I know I have spent many hours trying to fix the problem by switching cards, reformattind and retesting with no resolution. This may be my last Cannon DSLR if this is so.

@inactive010823 wrote:

MajBurke,

It is normal for the camera to stop recording at 4GB.  Due to file system limitations, each clip that is recorded cannot exceed 4GB.

but, as said, one of the other nice features about magic lantern is that it will automatically start another recording if the first gets aborted, either due to filesize or because of any glitch. That can be a life saver.

jermyzy
Apprentice

I'm having the same issue.  Bought a new t3i just to bring on my recent African Safari.  When I try to record a video, buffering meter would pop up and would stop recording automatically after a few seconds.  If I try a few times, it would eventually record.  Would of course happen at the worst time, so I missed a few video opportunities, what a disappointment!  I'm already using a Sandisk Extreme card so I don't think write speed of the card is the issue...any other suggestions on how to fix this without installing Magic lantern?  Should I try reducing resolution to 720p?  Or should I just try buying another memory card?  Don't want to waste more money than I need...

I tried 720 also, no difference, since the data rate is the same regardless. As far as I know the only way to lower the datarate, which allows the camera to write fast enough to the card, is magic lantern.  I've brought it down to 0.9 and haven't had an abort since.

MajBurke
Apprentice
Although it is a frustatration, Magic lantern is a great way to get that kind of recording. Has many features that make it work your while. I still don't think I'd leave Canon for it. But that's just me. Once I had ML on there I was back to zero issues with the camera since the whole recording stopping thing was my only gripe
Announcements