cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with memory card slot in canon 1200d.

mandfinn
Apprentice
Hello,

I purchased a canon 1200d camera almost a year back. And now after a year I am facing a problem.
The memory card s not getting detected.
When ever I insert a memory card a pop up error comes saying "Memory card switch is set to lock".
I at first thought that the problem is with the memory card and formatted the memory card and saw that the problem still continued. I then tried with another memory card and later with a mobile memory card with the help of a adapter but the problem still shows the same. "MEMORY CARD SWITCH IS SET TO LOCK"

What can be done to resolve this issue.
Do I need to get in touch with the service center or is there any thing that can be done to resolve the issue.
Waiting for a reply.
7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check the memory card switch.  Do not use micro-SD cards with adapters.  Stick to only full size cards.  Check the slot for a foreign object, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

mandfinn
Apprentice
Hello,

The memory card switch is not locked. I checked the switch multiple times. The issue still persists and is not resolved. I tried with two full size cards and one with micro SD card as well. In the initial stage it said that the memory card can't be detected and when I blow air inside the memory card slot thinking something stuck it changed the error to "MEMORY CARD SWITCH IS SET TO LOCK"

@mandfinn wrote:
Hello,

The memory card switch is not locked. I checked the switch multiple times. The issue still persists and is not resolved. I tried with two full size cards and one with micro SD card as well. In the initial stage it said that the memory card can't be detected and when I blow air inside the memory card slot thinking something stuck it changed the error to "MEMORY CARD SWITCH IS SET TO LOCK"

It appears that the sensor for the card is stuck. I don't have this camera so I don't know for certain but the sensor might be as simple as a spring loaded pin.  I suggest that you shine a light and take a closer look and try to free the pin.  If the sensor is optical, look for some debris that might have blocked it.  I'd use a soft brush and clean the area...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

mandfinn
Apprentice
OK. Let me try cleaning the spring type pin that's in the memory card slot and will see if the issue gets resolved or still persists. Let me give a try right now on it.

mandfinn
Apprentice
No. I tried the solution which you have said but the issue still persists. I guess it would be a better option if I get in touch with the service center because my camera is still under warranty phase.

@mandfinn wrote:
No. I tried the solution which you have said but the issue still persists. I guess it would be a better option if I get in touch with the service center because my camera is still under warranty phase.

I did not ask about the size of the cards.  The 1200D/T6 works best with 32 GB cards.  Stick to brands made by major manufacturers, like Lexar or Sandisk.  Personally, I have had problems with thumb drives from DNY, so I avoid them now.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It appears that the sensor for the card is stuck."

This is the most likely cause.  There is a little spring that goes into the notch on the SD card.  This little spring is not in your case.  Look at your SD card a note the location of that notch.  In the corresponding place in the camera SD slot you can easily see that spring.

You probably got dirt or dust or soda pop in there!  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements