cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible flash problem

voomie
Apprentice
I bought refurbished t5 and when I tried it out, the flash blinks really flash like a strobe light when it tries to focus. Did I get a bummed refurb or is there a setting I need to change?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@voomie wrote:
OK it is the auto focus assist beam. I can turn it off when I am shooting in auto?

If you mean shooting in "A" mode, then no you cannot disable it.  Shoot in "P" mode, which is best for learning the camera, anyway.  Check out the differences in the menu options between "A" and "P" modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

The flash is providing an autofocus assist beam. The T5 user manual will tell you how to use it and/or turn it off. If it bothers you, you can buy an external speedlite that fits into the hot shoe. The good ones use a red/infrared transmitter for the AF assist beam that you (and your subjects) would probably not even notice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Do spend some quality time with the T5 manual.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@voomie wrote:
I bought refurbished t5 and when I tried it out, the flash blinks really flash like a strobe light when it tries to focus. Did I get a bummed refurb or is there a setting I need to change?

You should only get the AF assist beam from the flash when you are in low light situations.  "Don't Panic."  The camera is fine.

voomie
Apprentice
I'll play around with it but it worries me because it starts and several times and almost sounds like it is shorting out.

@voomie wrote:
I'll play around with it but it worries me because it starts and several times and almost sounds like it is shorting out.

Not good.  Don't use it.  That sounds hazadous.  Consult Canon, if you're in doubt.  The assist beam does make a noise, but it sounds like a strobe.  Have you ever heard a strobe before?  The sound varies from one device to another, but it is a pop.

This is where Click and Clack (RIP) would have the caller try to imitate the sound, to great hilarity.

The "disco flash" does make a buzzing sound.

Try it with the lens cap off in P mode and just take a flash shot. does that sound OK?

@kvbarkley wrote:

This is where Click and Clack (RIP) would have the caller try to imitate the sound, to great hilarity.

Try it with the lens cap off in P mode and just take a flash shot. does that sound OK?

My gut says the camera is fine.  The T5 does make an ugly noise when it does AF Assist, if you're not expecting it.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

My gut says the camera is fine.  The T5 does make an ugly noise when it does AF Assist, if you're not expecting it.

I agree, I always turn it off.

voomie
Apprentice
OK it is the auto focus assist beam. I can turn it off when I am shooting in auto?
Announcements