Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Photos have a line down middle.

Hi, I have a canon rebel t3i and my pictures are coming out with a line down the middle.  One side is lighter than the other.  I thought it was just the screen, but when I print my pictures the line appears with half of the photo being darker/lighter.  Do I need a new lens?Please help.

Respected Contributor

Re: Photos have a line down middle.

[ Edited ]
Are you using flash? If so, is it the one on the camera, or is it a Speedlite in the hot shoe?

If the flash is not sync-ing correctly with the shutter, you may get that, as the shutter is really just a rectangular opening that travels horizontally in front of the sensor. If the opening passes part of the picture before the flash fires then half the picture will not get light from the flash.

I once had that happen when my Speedlite flash had slid loose in the shoe so it was not talking well with the camera.
Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Reputable Contributor

Show us a couple sample images. We need more info to give any useful advice.

Could be a problem with flash, faulty memory card, image download issue, failing shutter or imaging sensor going bad.

It's unlikely to be a problem with the lens.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

New Contributor

LINEDOWNMIDDLEONRIGHT.jpg

New Contributor

I have many examples of the line that goes down to the right middle...

linedownmiddleagain.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

What camera? You're evidently not the OP from three years ago, so we have no reason to suppose that it's a T3i.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Highlighted
New Contributor

I have a Powershot SX10 that has this same problem. A great camera that is now worthless. Is there an answer yet for this?