cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Gear

FiveseveN
Contributor

Anyone else with old gear?

I have a 12 year old Rebel XTi with a 60mm macro, 18-55 basic lens, and a 70-300 IS lens that seems to produce a lot of noise, especially at full zoom.

I bought the lenses at the same time. Is there anything I can do about the noise issue with the zoom? Not sure if the problem wasn't there before, or if I just didn't notice it before.

Other than the noise issue, I love my old equipment, and even if I eventually upgrade, will never part with it. (Unless it gets destroyed or something :P)

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Odds that the noise was always there.  I have a T5 with 75-300mm kit lens, and it, too, seems noisy at the long end,  It is the camera, not the lens.  The aperture is at the rear of the lens, which means the same amount of light passes through the lens elements, no matter the aperture setting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah, that's what someone else told me too... I guess that means I need a new (to me) camera body. Any recommendations? Something I can use with my current lenses if possible. (though I think some dust got in my zoom lens)

@FiveseveN wrote:
Yeah, that's what someone else told me too... I guess that means I need a new (to me) camera body. Any recommendations? Something I can use with my current lenses if possible. (though I think some dust got in my zoom lens)

Any Canon APS-C camera will work with your lenses. That includes the 7D, the 7D Mark II, all Rebels, and all nnD models except the 10D (which you're unlikely to find, because it's even older than your Xti).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

What would be the best for macro, landscape, and timed exposure

@FiveseveN wrote:

No, it doesn't necessarily mean you "need" a new camera body, but I am sure you "want" one, which I think is a good idea.

I have often wondered about why, with exposure settings being equal, that I seem to get less noise with a lens with a larger front element than one with a smaller front element, most particularly at longer focal lengths. '

I don't know if I am seeing a difference because of the physics involved, the differences in manufacturing quality, or a combination of both.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@FiveseveN wrote:

I have a 12 year old Rebel XTi with a 60mm macro, 18-55 basic lens, and a 70-300 IS lens that seems to produce a lot of noise, especially at full zoom.

I bought the lenses at the same time. Is there anything I can do about the noise issue with the zoom? Not sure if the problem wasn't there before, or if I just didn't notice it before.

Other than the noise issue, I love my old equipment, and even if I eventually upgrade, will never part with it. (Unless it gets destroyed or something :P)

Your statement has a lot of ambiguous terms. Many people confuse out of focus areas with noise. When you say at full zoom, do you mean when using the lens at 300mm or when viewing the photos at 100%?

Perhaps you could post a photo that illustrates what you are saying.

@TTMartin wrote:

@FiveseveN wrote:

Your statement has a lot of ambiguous terms. Many people confuse out of focus areas with noise. When you say at full zoom, do you mean when using the lens at 300mm or when viewing the photos at 100%?

Perhaps you could post a photo that illustrates what you are saying.

Noise as in those funky little aberrations in an area that should be a fairly smooth.

@Full zoom, as in @300 zoom on the lens.  I don't have an old photo of the moon on this computer to show you (long story) but just to test it, I took photos of the moon last night... in the sky and any 'flat' areas of the moon, as in, large areas with little variation in color. It is almost like my 100 ISO setting is acting like 800 or 1600 ISO

It looks like this

over sharp sky.jpg

Instead of this?

no sharp sky.jpg

Not quite that bad but yes. Less so with my macro lens, but still seems to be more than it should.

Got my eye on a camera body.... but will take a while to save for it. any idea how much it would cost to get my current one refurbished?

Announcements