cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member needs help

lurechunker
Enthusiast

I am new to the forum and asking for help. Our granddaughter plays basketball and I would like to photograph her. I kayak and would like to photograph birds. Is the EOS 760D the camera for me? Other? What lens or lenses? How can I protect my equipment form damage from saltwater? Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@lurechunker wrote:
My 80D with 18-55 from Canon store will arrive tomorrow. I think I made a mistake by not getting the 28-135. Should I leave the 18-55 in the box and send it back? I'd like to start with an "all-round" lens and one long enough for back yard birds.

Do you mean 18-135, instead of 28-135?  The 18-135 lenses are pretty good.  BUT, they will likely cast a shadow when you try to use the flash.  I know that older 18-135mm lenses cast a major shadow on a T5, so I would expect a shadow on an 80D.  The 18-55mm lens has a 35mm equivalent of 29-88mm, which is pretty close to 24-70mm that is very popular for use with full frame camera bodies.

The  STM version of the 18-55mm is a really good lens.  I would hang on to it.  I can guarantee you that whatever plans you have for using the camera, you will find new scenarios to use it.  I would keep the 18-55mm, and pass on buying a 18-135, so that you can budget more money towards your birding lens.  If you can afford to do all of the above, then by all means, buy all of the lenses you want.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

@lurechunker wrote:

What about buying a used or refurbished lens from B&H?

I am not sure if I have seen any Canon refurbished gear at B&H, not in the last few years for sure.  If you want to buy Canon refurbished gear, then I would only recommend the Canon refurbished store.  They will give you a one year warranty, not just a  "guarantee" of some kind.  

I think B&H has a fairly good and objective rating system for their used gear.  I think much of it is a bit pricey, though.  Many times they will offer used gear that is rated "good" that has an asking price that is more than what is being offered in the Canon Refurbished Store.  

Check what the B&H guarantee and return policy might be for used gear.  I've bought a used tripod head and a "hi-hat" tripod from B&H, and I think I had a 15 day return window, and a 30 day guarantee.

Good judgement needs to exercised when buying used gear.  You must consider the source.  You must consider the return policy, for which B&H has a good reputation.  You must consider the cost/benefit of expensive gear without a warranty.  You must consider can the used gear be repaired, if needed in the near future.  

With used camera gear, there is always a risk of mold and mildew contamination.  Canon's refurbished gear has that new gear smell to it, so I think the contamination risk is small to non-existent with Canon.

[EDIT]. If what you want is out of stock at the Canon Refurbished Store, be patient.  Most of the items will be back in stock in a month, or two, or three.  The "L" series lenses can sell out very quickly.  

View solution in original post

314 REPLIES 314

Will a Wemberley Sidestck on my MyFoto Globetrotter be adequate for the Tamron 150-600 G2 with 80D..... about 6 pounds?

I suspect that it could get unstable, and possibly tip over, if you raise the center column.  In fact, I suspect that it could be unstable with the center column lowered.  I assume that you have a ball head.  How stable is it with the ball head?

Consider this.  How much does the tripod weigh, compared to how much your camera/lens would weigh?  Be sure to add the weight of the tripod head to that of your camera/lens setup, too.  You may want to consider adding some weight bags to the MeFoto's legs with the gimbal.  

Personally, I'm most sure if the MeFoto has a wide enough stance, because it gets much of its' height from raising the center column.  But, I don't use a gimbal, so I really couldn't say for sure.  If I remember correctly, your MeFoto was a carbon fiber model.

I have a similar tripod, a Benro Series 1 carbon fiber that I use when I want to travel small and light.  Benro, Induro, and MeFoto all have the same parent company.  I don't use my Sigma "C" with it.  The legs just seen too light, making the entire setup top heavy.  And, that's for a fairly stationary setup.  You're talking about swinging a gimbal.

@Waddizzle wrote:

I suspect that it could get unstable, and possibly tip over, if you raise the center column.  In fact, I suspect that it could be unstable with the center column lowered.  I assume that you have a ball head.  How stable is it with the ball head?

Consider this.  How much does the tripod weigh, compared to how much your camera/lens would weigh?  Be sure to add the weight of the tripod head to that of your camera/lens setup, too.  You may want to consider adding some weight bags to the MeFoto's legs with the gimbal.  

Personally, I'm most sure if the MeFoto has a wide enough stance, because it gets much of its' height from raising the center column.  But, I don't use a gimbal, so I really couldn't say for sure.  If I remember correctly, your MeFoto was a carbon fiber model.

I have a similar tripod, a Benro Series 1 carbon fiber that I use when I want to travel small and light.  Benro, Induro, and MeFoto all have the same parent company.  I don't use my Sigma "C" with it.  The legs just seen too light, making the entire setup top heavy.  And, that's for a fairly stationary setup.  You're talking about swinging a gimbal.

I apologize if somebody has already pointed this out, but one way to increase the stability of any tripod is to hang a weight (something as simple as a bag of rocks) from the bottom end of the center column, if any, or underneath the head. Many tripods have hooks for this purpose. The weight increases the tripod's effective mass and lowers its center of gravity, making it less likely to turn over and a bit less likely to wobble.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@lurechunker wrote:

Will a Wemberley Sidestck on my MyFoto Globetrotter be adequate for the Tamron 150-600 G2 with 80D..... about 6 pounds?

For reasons that I stated above, I do not like the Sidekick, or any similar gadget.  Those type of gimbal adapters do not have adjustments to allow you to actually balance your setup, which, IMHO, defeats the whole point of using a gimbal.

I think you would be better of spending a little more on a real gimbal and a short center column.  Leg weights could be good, too, along with a portable chair.  Your tripod is fairly short without the center column raised   I think a beefier tripod is really what you need to use with a gimbal head.

"I do not like the Sidekick, or any similar gadget."

I am in the same boat. Not a fan of the Sidekick but I do like gimbal heads.  The ability to balance the gear is just part of the way to use the gimbal head.  They allow movement in any direction effortlessly and maintain great stability.  Even if you do zoom and have to hold on to or be aware of the now slight unbalanced load.  Really not much different than adjusting knobs on a ball or pan head.  It is a matter of which you prefer.  Both or all types have a place.

On my 3046 I use the 501 head.  One 55PROB has a gimbal and the other a ball head.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@lurechunker wrote:
The hood (ET-83D) for my 100-400 L ll lens has a slide open window. What is the purpose of the window? Should I leave it open? Thanks to all who have helped.

That little door in the hood is there so that you can turn a CP filter.  You can mount the hood so that the door is either at the top, or at the bottom positions.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/canon_software/dpp_video_tutorials.do
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

As you know, I have an 80D, 18-55 and a 100-400 L ll. I may trade the 100-400 for a Tamron 150-600 G2 and add a 2.8 70-200. I will appreciate your expert opinions. 

@lurechunker wrote:

As you know, I have an 80D, 18-55 and a 100-400 L ll. I may trade the 100-400 for a Tamron 150-600 G2 and add a 2.8 70-200. I will appreciate your expert opinions. 

Your Canon DPP software will not recognize non-Canon lenses and apply Lens Correction.  The images will likely appear to have small amounts of vignetting, which only gets worse as you increase focal length.  Although, the APS-C sensor in the 80D could crop the vignetting away, and you may never notice it.

The 100-400 is a fantastic lens, which can be handheld without too much issues with a little practice.  The 150-600 lenses are all real beasts.  You will want to use some form of support with it to get the best results.  

I considered the Sigma and the Tamron lenses, and went for the Sigma because of the Sigma Dock and the zoom lock switch. I can lock the Sigma at 150, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600mm.  Lens creep is not an issue with it.  I always felt it was soft above 500mm, but a recent firmware update reportedly included a new AF algorithm and it seems like a new and different lens.

I own 100-400 like yours, and I can carry it mounted to a body in my holster bag.  Not so with the Sigma 150-600 "C".  I can carry two camera bodies with mounted a 100-400 and a 70-200 quite easily in my bag,  The Sigma tends to be an all or nothing lens, not unless i break out the 30L backpack.  

I would keep the 100-400, because it can last a lifetime.  I prefer the images from the 100-400 over the 150-600, too.  I am tempted to get a 1.4x extender for it..  

Announcements