cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member needs help

lurechunker
Enthusiast

I am new to the forum and asking for help. Our granddaughter plays basketball and I would like to photograph her. I kayak and would like to photograph birds. Is the EOS 760D the camera for me? Other? What lens or lenses? How can I protect my equipment form damage from saltwater? Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@lurechunker wrote:
My 80D with 18-55 from Canon store will arrive tomorrow. I think I made a mistake by not getting the 28-135. Should I leave the 18-55 in the box and send it back? I'd like to start with an "all-round" lens and one long enough for back yard birds.

Do you mean 18-135, instead of 28-135?  The 18-135 lenses are pretty good.  BUT, they will likely cast a shadow when you try to use the flash.  I know that older 18-135mm lenses cast a major shadow on a T5, so I would expect a shadow on an 80D.  The 18-55mm lens has a 35mm equivalent of 29-88mm, which is pretty close to 24-70mm that is very popular for use with full frame camera bodies.

The  STM version of the 18-55mm is a really good lens.  I would hang on to it.  I can guarantee you that whatever plans you have for using the camera, you will find new scenarios to use it.  I would keep the 18-55mm, and pass on buying a 18-135, so that you can budget more money towards your birding lens.  If you can afford to do all of the above, then by all means, buy all of the lenses you want.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

@lurechunker wrote:

What about buying a used or refurbished lens from B&H?

I am not sure if I have seen any Canon refurbished gear at B&H, not in the last few years for sure.  If you want to buy Canon refurbished gear, then I would only recommend the Canon refurbished store.  They will give you a one year warranty, not just a  "guarantee" of some kind.  

I think B&H has a fairly good and objective rating system for their used gear.  I think much of it is a bit pricey, though.  Many times they will offer used gear that is rated "good" that has an asking price that is more than what is being offered in the Canon Refurbished Store.  

Check what the B&H guarantee and return policy might be for used gear.  I've bought a used tripod head and a "hi-hat" tripod from B&H, and I think I had a 15 day return window, and a 30 day guarantee.

Good judgement needs to exercised when buying used gear.  You must consider the source.  You must consider the return policy, for which B&H has a good reputation.  You must consider the cost/benefit of expensive gear without a warranty.  You must consider can the used gear be repaired, if needed in the near future.  

With used camera gear, there is always a risk of mold and mildew contamination.  Canon's refurbished gear has that new gear smell to it, so I think the contamination risk is small to non-existent with Canon.

[EDIT]. If what you want is out of stock at the Canon Refurbished Store, be patient.  Most of the items will be back in stock in a month, or two, or three.  The "L" series lenses can sell out very quickly.  

View solution in original post

314 REPLIES 314

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I think the best solution is the 80D and the D30."

The "best" solution is the 7D Mk II.  The others are a compromise that can work.

That's the best solution for an experienced user, but not for someone new to DSLRs.

While there are many differences and overall the 7D II is more of a technical (semi-pro) camera for experienced shooters, I think the most significant difference is that the 7D II has a very advanced focus system.  Someone purchasing that camera to exploit it's superior action-photography capabilities would need to be willing to invest the time to learn about the focus system, how to select focus points, how to change AF point modes & zones, and how to change focus mode behaviors.   If you invest the time to do this, then it will pay off because ultimately it offers more control in those areas.

It's not difficult *if* you are willing to invest the time to learn and practice.

If a person is not interested in investing the time, then the equipment will not magically produce better results on it's own.

Of course this applies to most DSLRs... they are capable of outperforming point & shoot cameras and phones, but without some knowledge of using exposure controls to influence the look of the shots, you wont necessarily get better looking images just because you have a DSLR.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

As a beginner, I am finding this is an interesting thread. It isn't lost on me that the OP posted her query in the EOS Rebel section of the site. I assume the lady is a beginner, based on her questions. I don't know why an entry level DSLR isn't being recommended to her. As a beginner myself, I have seen and known too many of my compatriots read a few articles and then come in to the hobby with the mindset of "I need, I want, I must have...".

A month or two later, their expensive enthusiast gear is being sold on Craigslist or sitting in a closet collecting dust. Why? Too much camera, too soon.

She mentioned two interests. Taking photos of her granddaughter playing basketball and shooting birds. This can't be done on a T6?

I decided early on, that I wanted an entry level DSLR to learn photography on. Bought my refurbished T6 kit here on the Canon site and have been very pleased. It has exceeded my expectations. I literally learn something new each and every time I shoot. Don't need a 7D, 80D, or expensive glass for that.

I came in to the hobby with a range of interests. I shoot often. Over the past couple weeks, I've shot at tidepools, forests, a graveyard, parks, did a little street photography (yes, with a T6), and soon the desert. Once I am completely comfortable with the basics of general DSLR camera concepts and use, and am able to consistently produce good shots, then I have no doubt that I will move on to something better. Till then, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. YMMV.

Hi John_SD.

The big issue for the OP is the fact that the desire involed kayak use in salt water setting. The likelihood of damage to the equipment is great in those conditions, which is why I recommended the weathersealed 80D. One errant wave can destroy the T6s; for the price of less than two T6s bodies the weathersealed body is available.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

One errant wave can destroy the T6s; for the price of less than two T6s bodies the weathersealed body is available. 

I'm sure you're right. The lady hasn't posted follow-up questions since her initial query, so it may all be moot at this point anyway. Or maybe she has made her purchase and moved on.

It looks like I will need two cameras, one for kayaking and one for birding. Need to keep the cost down until ai find out if this is the hobby for me. Thanks for the answers.

@lurechunker wrote:

It looks like I will need two cameras, one for kayaking and one for birding. Need to keep the cost down until ai find out if this is the hobby for me. Thanks for the answers.

Of course, I agree.  The current series of Rebel camera bodies are not as robust as they were in the past.  The T6 is truly an entry level camera.  Except for sensor resolution and limited Wi-Fi features, the T6 is not very different from a T1i.  But, a T6 is not as well built as a T1i, IMHO.  

None of the current Rebel bodies are as well built as a T1i.  If you can find a new 70D, then go for that.  The 80D is truly a family camera, with video capabilities that are state of the art.  The 80D is pretty good in low light, and seems to be underrated.  In fact, I think it performs as least as well in low light as the 7D2, if not better.  The 80D produces images with noise levels that are surprisingly low, which makes it great for video with inexpensive lenses.

The T6s and T6i are not as well built, and lack the focusing system of the 80D.  The T6 offers even less than its' big brothers.  current Rebel bodies can take good pictures, but handle them with care.  Keep them away from dust and water.  Beware of smoke at the backyard BBQ with a Rebel.  

@lurechunker wrote:

@lurechunker wrote:

I will be brutally honest with you.  Birding can be an expensive hobby.  Period.  If you wish to shoot birds in the wild, then you will need a lens with a focal length of at least 400mm to 600mm.  Those lenses are not cheap.  

You can get shots of birds with budget lenses, but you will need to be so close that you will likely disturb the birds.  Of course, it helps to get lucky from time to time. 

Tracking birds in flight, is a practiced skill.  Lots of practice.  Having a camera body with many Auto-Focus tracking points is a BIG assist.  The 80D has 45 AF points.  The Rebel bodies have only 9, and do not track a subject in motion very well, if at all.  

Lenses are MUCH better today than when the T1i was released, even the budget lenses.  But, the high performance lenses can produce truly breath taking images when used with camera bodies with high performance AF systems..  

@lurechunker wrote:

"Need" is a strong word.  Several years ago, I recall someone's wife (I don't think it was on this forum) who stated that she was looking for a camera and lens for her husband who declared "you see that bird?  I want a camera that can take a photo of that bird with up-close detail with me having to step out of my car."  I responded that "you're in luck!  B&H Photo has a used copy of the Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6 USM lens... and it's only $130,000.00

If you have the resources and are willing to part with the money, the options are staggering.  

If you want to take photos of non-moving subjects in the middle of a bright day...any camera will do this and get fantastic results.  

What separates DSLRs from point & shoots is the level of control you have.  By changing lenses you can generally select a lens with a very low focal ratio -- and this produces a deliberately shallow depth of field such that you get a tack-sharp subject with a gorgeously blurred background and the contrast in focus really helps the subject pop.  You can't do that with a camera phone or a point & shoot camera.   You can control all aspects of the exposure which allows for a more creative result.

Scott Kelby did a seminar in which he (jokingly) mentions that if you want to get into action photography, you'll need a suitcase full of money to start.  This is an area where you need particularly long focal length lenses with very low focal ratios and technical cameras with advanced focusing systems that have staggeringly fast frame rates when shooting bursts of continuous shots.  That level of performance means you're basically looking for top-end gear.

Can you capture fantastic sports & action photos with an entry level camera?  Absolutely you can... but your "keeper ratio" will be lower.  The higher end gear will get you a higher keeper ratio.  The trick with birds, however, is they may be shy.  Depending on the bird, you may not be able to get within a hundred yards of them.  Other birds may allow you to get within just a few feet.

The EOS "Rebel" line are the entry series cameras where a body + lens combination will generally cost less than $1000.  

"Today", I own several camera bodies and a number of top-end lenses... but I didn't just buy it all at once.  I've been slowly accumulating gears, as budget allowed, over many years.   When you buy a point & shoot, you're buying a "camera" and it will never be more than it was on the day of original purchase.  When you buy a DSLR, you're just buying into the foundation of a "camera system" and you'll be able to acquire more lenses, lighting, and other accessories, and even upgrade the body ... all over time. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"That's the best solution for an experienced user, but not for someone new to DSLRs."

Why is it that all new to photography folks are not capable of learning the hobby.  It is utter nonsense to think that a 7D Mk II would inhibit a person's ability to learn how to use a DSLR.  It is as automatic or as manual as anyone wants it to be.  Maybe it is just me, because of my DSLR 101 classes, that I believe anyone can learn photography if they want to.

A 7D Mk II, a couple of lenses and a couple zip lock bags and the OP is ready to shoot.  Ocean or birds!  Sounds pretty simple to me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"That's the best solution for an experienced user, but not for someone new to DSLRs."

A 7D Mk II, a couple of lenses and a couple zip lock bags and the OP is ready to shoot.  Ocean or birds!  Sounds pretty simple to me.

Of course, it sounds pretty simple.  That's my point.

Announcements