cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New T6i user.... need help with zoom

Dutch87
Apprentice
Hello all,

I am new to using a DSLR, been using 35mm film forever. Guess I'm the last to make the switch.

I just bought a Rebel T6i and cannot figure our why it won't let me zoom in on anything when I use the toggle. It says "This function is not selectable in the current shooting mode" Thing is, it says that for every mode.
4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority

@Dutch87 wrote:

I am new to using a DSLR, been using 35mm film forever. Guess I'm the last to make the switch.

I just bought a Rebel T6i and cannot figure our why it won't let me zoom in on anything when I use the toggle. It says "This function is not selectable in the current shooting mode" Thing is, it says that for every mode.

Are you talking about zooming in to view a picture?  Magnified view cannot be displayed on the picture that you just took (when it shows you for a few seconds).  You need to be in picture review mode.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Dutch87 wrote:
Hello all,

I am not certain what this "toggle" thing that you refer to could possible be.  Is it a labeled button or knob?  Is it on the camera or the lens?  It sounds like you have entered the quick control setting screen, and are trying to change a setting.

The camera has two sets of shooting modes, Basic and Creative.  The Basic modes are intended for use by new users, and those who do not wish to dive into the details of using a DSLR.  Basic shooting modes may present you with similar messages if you go into the [Q], quick control screen, menu and try to make changes to certain camera and exposure settings.  The Creative modes, [P], [Tv], [Av], and [M], allow you to make changes to all of the settings displayed on the quick control screen menu.

Assuming that your Rebel T6i came in a camera kit with an 18-55mm lens, your lens should have AF, Auto-Focus, built in.  If place the round shooting mode dial on the top of the camera to the Green [A] mode, then the camera should behave like a simple point and shoot, disposable camera with one notable difference. 

The T6i will auto focus  when you half depress the shutter button.  With the lens AF/MF switch in the AF position, the camera will auto focus on a subject, which you should be able to see as a lit red square(s) in the viewfinder. 

The lens is zoomed by manually turning the zoom control ring on the lens. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...why it won't let me zoom in on anything..."

I don't understand either?  If you are trying to "zoom in" you need to do so on the lens not the camera.  You said you have a T6i but you didn't say what lens you have.  Is it a zoom lens?

If you are trying to compare the T6i to a P&S (point and shoot) where you can zoom in on the camera, the T6i can not do that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsfwlOGBYs

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements