cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rebel T6s wont recognize sd card

tmj2015
Apprentice

Within the last few days, I purchased a Rebel T6s 760D. Today upon, open the box and setting the camera up, I foud that not one SD card can be be formatted or recognizable in the camera. I've used over 7 different perfectly good SD cards that have worked in the past on other Canons. Each time I put a SD card in the camera it says, "Card annot be accessed." Each time I try to format the card it says, "cannot format, change card."  Please help. Thank you  

30 REPLIES 30

@Bellchamber wrote:

It wouldn't recognize the folder on a 16GB Class 6 nor a 2GB micro with an adapter.

I formated the 2GB Micro with an adapter.  Has worked so far.

You should probably only use Class 10, FULL-SIZE cards with any of current Rebel Series cameras in the Canon lineup.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had been taking photos on my new T6i for a few weeks, with two brand new full size SanDisk class 10 cards, and after downloading, I'd reformat the card in the camera, just like I've always done with my T1i, but last weekend, the camera couldn't tell that there was a memory card inserted when there was. I've tried taking out the card, reinserting it. reformated on the T1i, and reinserting it, taking out the battery for a minute and then back in and reinserting the card, but I get nothing.

I bought the camera body on Amazon, and it's an international version, so I'm not certain how that would change things, but it really shouldn't.  I'm fairly frustrated, because I missed out on taking photos at an annual event. (My son was shooting with my old T1i.).

That is exactly what I did.  Upgraded to Class 10 card and replaced other sd cards (cheapies).

Thanks

_JB

ryanisthefitz
Contributor

Has anyone found a solution yet for this?  I just got a brand new Rebel T6 and it is giving me this error in trying to read a brand new Sandisk 32gb class 10 flash card.  I have tried formatting on the computer first but it still will not recognize the card.  The card works fine in my older point and shoot.  Anyone have any ideas?

@ryanisthefitz wrote:

Has anyone found a solution yet for this?  I just got a brand new Rebel T6 and it is giving me this error in trying to read a brand new Sandisk 32gb class 10 flash card.  I have tried formatting on the computer first but it still will not recognize the card.  The card works fine in my older point and shoot.  Anyone have any ideas?

When formatting a card on a computer, make sure you format it to the correct file system (FAT32 or whatever). Formatting on a computer can help, but it can backfire if the file format is one that the camera can't grok.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

cassjo01
Apprentice

I have a similar problem. i just purchased a Rebel t6 recently and received it yesterday. I used it for about an hour or so and then it would not playback my images. I found that if i shut it off a few times it would work for a little before doing the same thing. Then it began to tell me that it could not read my sd card. The card was also brand new. i formatted the card to my camera twice, didnt seem to fix it. (I put the card into my computer and was able to veiw the pictures just fine). I got it to work a few times by re-inserting the card and the battery a few times again and again. But as of now it will not allow me to veiw my pictures on the camera or take pictures, when i do it  just shuts the screen off or displays error #2 and says it cannot connest to my card. I am new to the camera world so i don't know if it is me being silly or the camera! If someone could help it would be very appreciated! Thanks.

First option might be to specify "low level format" when you format the card in your camera.  If that doesn't help, try another full sized SD card.  If that still doesn't work, the path of least resistance may be a call to Canon's support line and a warranty return/repair.

@cassjo01 wrote:

I have a similar problem. i just purchased a Rebel t6 recently and received it yesterday. I used it for about an hour or so and then it would not playback my images. I found that if i shut it off a few times it would work for a little before doing the same thing. Then it began to tell me that it could not read my sd card. The card was also brand new. i formatted the card to my camera twice, didnt seem to fix it. (I put the card into my computer and was able to veiw the pictures just fine). I got it to work a few times by re-inserting the card and the battery a few times again and again. But as of now it will not allow me to veiw my pictures on the camera or take pictures, when i do it  just shuts the screen off or displays error #2 and says it cannot connest to my card. I am new to the camera world so i don't know if it is me being silly or the camera! If someone could help it would be very appreciated! Thanks.

It would have helped if you had stated what size, type, and brand of card you are using.  

Stick to major name brand cards like Lexar or Sandisk.  I have had issues with DNY thumb drives, so I have not used their SD cards, at all.  Stick to only full size SD cards, because the micro-SD card adapters are unreliable.  I would advise only using a 32 GB, or smaller, card in a T6, or any older Rebel design, despite what the instruction manuals might say or claim.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

cassjo01
Apprentice
Oh sorry, I didn't think of that. It was a 16g sdhc memory card. I'm not sure of the brand something "pro".

Shortly after I posted my question last night I was given a 4g SanDisk sdhc card and got it to work.

Thank you for your replies!

A card with "Pro", "Excel", "Ultra", etc means nothing. Look for "Class 10". That is all you need to know. A Class 10 will do anything you ask your card to do.

Second, buy from a legitimate place. There are many counterfeit cards out there. Amazon is the worse place to buy from. Name brand places that buy from the manufacturer are the best. Adorama, B&H, and even in a Walmart store should be safe.

SD cards have a failure rate of under 2%. Full size SD cards are no more prone to fail than a micro SD card. The probability of running into a counterfeit card is greater than the card failing.

Announcements