cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rebel t6 won't connect to my MacBook.

br2017
Apprentice

I have downloaded all of the necessary software to my macbook, but i dont have a usb port so i cant use the cord my camera came with. I'm trying to connect my camera wirelessly to my mac but it will not connect, I. dont know what else to do.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@br2017 wrote:

I have downloaded all of the necessary software to my macbook, but i dont have a usb port so i cant use the cord my camera came with. I'm trying to connect my camera wirelessly to my mac but it will not connect, I. dont know what else to do.

Make sure the camera is set to wireless mode, not USB mode.  However, the camera’s wireless functionality does not work that way.  The camera needs to connect to a wireless access point, not directly to your computer.

I advise removing the SD card from the camera and using a card reader, or the reader slot in the MAC

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

br2017
Apprentice
See that would work if I had a card reader slot. I don’t have anything but my usb-c charger port for my charger cord. i’m just getting frustrated and don’t know what else to do.

@br2017 wrote:
See that would work if I had a card reader slot. I don’t have anything but my usb-c charger port for my charger cord. i’m just getting frustrated and don’t know what else to do.

Contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Apple has stopped making computers with the old USB standard and have moved on to the new USB-C standard.

You can buy a "USB-C to USB Mini-B" cable ... that has the same USB connector for the camera side (the USB Mini B port) and the USB-C port that the Mac uses.

Apple sells a USB-C to standard USB adapter to let you connect any device that still wants the old USB type plug.

To make a wireless connection, you have to launch the "EOS Utility" on your Mac (Canon supplied software... make sure you download the most recent version).  This puts the Mac in a mode where it's looking for the camera.

Then you have TWO choices...

1)  If you are at home, then you probably want to tell the camera to enable WiFi and join your home WiFi network (infrastructure  mode).  The computer AND the camera must both be on the SAME WiFi network.

2)  If you are away from home and don't have a WiFi network, the camera can create a WiFi network that your Mac can join ... and that would let you transfer photos with a direct peer-to-peer wi-fi connection.

Another alternative is to just buy a USB-C attached card reader for your computer.  This would let you insert the camera's SD card directly into the reader and import the photos to the computer.  You would just want to make sure you buy one with a "USB-C" connector.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hey thanks everyone, but I have just realised that my Mac has an SD slot! durrrrp! I can't believe this skipped my mind somehow.
Announcements