cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Macbook Pro will not recognize my Canon Rebel T3i when I plug it in. Please help!

aprince1982
Apprentice

I've installed the necessary software from Canon, but no luck. Any suggestions?

64 REPLIES 64

Just as an extra I was having the same trouble. After turning on the camera after attaching the usb , Nothing. Then I pushed the playback arrow on the Rebel just below the LCD screen and it all went swimmingly. Maybe it will help others. Cheers

Hey Canon Community! I am hoping you can help me out. I have a Macbook Pro, and it is also not finding my camera. I tried the suggestion above, and it is still not registering. Incidentally, I tried to go to photos and it still doesn't show up. I've tried both USB ports, as well as different cables. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

After all my problems the best solution I found was to use the original USB cable that Canon supplied. No problems since I did that. Some lower qaulity cables just don'T have the ability to transfer data well. Good luck. TRy installing canon updates as well and restarting your Macbook.

Thanks for your response! I actually tried a couple of different cables, and different computers, and that didn't do the trick either. I've come to the conclusion that it's likely a defective camera and am planning for an exchange.

@kiwisimon wrote:

After all my problems the best solution I found was to use the original USB cable that Canon supplied. No problems since I did that. Some lower qaulity cables just don'T have the ability to transfer data well. Good luck. TRy installing canon updates as well and restarting your Macbook.

Some USB cables will transfer data but not power, others (apparently intended for use with cheap cell phones) power but not data. Good ones handle both, and those that don't should tell you they don't. But of course that will happen only when pigs learn to fly (if even then).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@kiwisimon wrote:

I've mentioned this before and I see Bob has also made the similar comment.

Once upon a time, a USB cable was a USB cable.  But now that so many devices use USB cables only for the purpose of "charging" a device, there are now devices that come with USB cables in which the only pins that are actually wired from end to end are the "power" pins.  The data pins aren't actually connected.

SO... I am usually careful to advise people to make sure the cable they are using actually has all pins wired (e.g. use the supplied Canon cable).  

If you can no longer find your original cable, buy a replacement.  I bought a 15' foot cable (for doing tethered shooting sessions) for less than $10.  I should caution that there are vendors who sell "tether" cables (cables identical to the factory cable... but much longer so your camera and computer can be more than just a few feet away) for crazy high prices ($40-50).  

If you want the original factory cable, that's a Canon IFC-200U (about $12.99 from an Authorized Canon dealer) and it's 6.9 feet long.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

If you want the original factory cable, that's a Canon IFC-200U (about $12.99 from an Authorized Canon dealer) and it's 6.9 feet long.  

For those from jurisdictions that don't cling to inches and feet, that's a slightly generous two meters.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Medic302
Apprentice
I’m having the same problem. I can see my cannon in the iPhoto’s section, but it says not images. I can see them on my camera with the sd card inserted. Again thou I can get them to my iMac. There has to be a simple solution I’m missing. Can anyone help?

DiabloTheOtaku
Apprentice
My canon rebel t7 won’t pop up anywhere on my Mac I’m using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 and the HDMI cable is fine but still nothing

I'm not sure you can connect to a computer via HDMI. Have you tried with USB?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements