cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Mac does identify my EOS T5 but it stopped seeing the pictures.

ricardo_hor
Apprentice

My Mac (OS X El Capitan) does identify my EOS T5, but it stopped seeing the pictures.

a) Camera is connected using USB cable.

b) I use the app "Photos" from Mac

c) I can see the camera icon under "import" in Photos.

d) when I click the icon I see in the right side the words "19 pictures", and 19 empty boxes without image.

e) If I click any empty box it shows "import 1 selected". If I click 2 boxes it shows "import 2 selected" etc. 

So, somehow my Mac knows there are pictures there.

f) However, the "import selected" is not highlighted. I cannot import anything, and I cannot even see the pictures.

g) Already tried all combinations of turn off, start over etc.

fh I tried changing the cable also, same problem.

i)  Until 2 days ago it was working perfectly fine.

j) "Photos" app does show me the old pictures stored in my Mac without problem.

Can you please help?

3 REPLIES 3

diverhank
Authority

Sorry for your troubles...The troubles with computers not seeing the camera or files are very common,  This problem is not isolated to cameras but everything USB related.  It has to do with hand-shaking - There are  no real solutions unfortunately.

For downloading pictures, the simpler way of doing it is to bypass the camera all together.  You don't need to connect the camera at all.  Just remove the SD card and insert it to the computer card reader.  If your computer does not have a built-in card reader, I suggest getting one.  This way, the camera is not part of the problem.  I have never connected my camera to the computer, ever.  The computer knows what to do with card readers way better than it does with your camera...so it's a lot easier and you still go through the same importing procedure or you can just copy the files yourself .

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

For downloading pictures, the simpler way of doing it is to bypass the camera all together.  You don't need to connect the camera at all.  Just remove the SD card and insert it to the computer card reader.  If your computer does not have a built-in card reader, I suggest getting one.  This way, the camera is not part of the problem.  I have never connected my camera to the computer, ever.  The computer knows what to do with card readers way better than it does with your camera...so it's a lot easier and you still go through the same importing procedure or you can just copy the files yourself .

I agree with most, but not quite all, of that. There are times when one really does need to connect a camera to a computer. For example:

- To control the camera remotely. I've never done that, but some people do.

- To change camera settings. I do this rather frequently, because I use a copyright notice when I'm taking pictures for work that's different from the one I use for personal shooting. It's a lot easier to edit the notice on a computer than to type it in by hand each time using the camera's primitive text entry system.

- To synchronize the camera's time with that of the computer. I do that whenever I'm going to use two cameras in a shoot or when my wife and I go out together. That way, all the pictures will sort in the correct chronological order.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ricardo_hor wrote:

My Mac (OS X El Capitan) does identify my EOS T5, but it stopped seeing the pictures.

a) Camera is connected using USB cable.

b) I use the app "Photos" from Mac

c) I can see the camera icon under "import" in Photos.

d) when I click the icon I see in the right side the words "19 pictures", and 19 empty boxes without image.

e) If I click any empty box it shows "import 1 selected". If I click 2 boxes it shows "import 2 selected" etc. 

So, somehow my Mac knows there are pictures there.

f) However, the "import selected" is not highlighted. I cannot import anything, and I cannot even see the pictures.

g) Already tried all combinations of turn off, start over etc.

fh I tried changing the cable also, same problem.

i)  Until 2 days ago it was working perfectly fine.

j) "Photos" app does show me the old pictures stored in my Mac without problem.

Can you please help?

Make sure that you have installed the latest EOS utitility software in your computer, and the latest firmware in your camera.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support?tab=drivers

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements