cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some advice

KAB
Contributor

I hope I'm asking this in the correct place.  I currently have a canon point and shoot, Powershot SX1 IS, and while it is a nice camera, it's still a point and shoot and I'm ready to upgrade to a SLR.  I'm not looking to do anything real professional, I have a toddler and another baby on the way, and I'd like something nice enough that I can get some really good pictures of my little ones, since I don't ever pay for professional photo's.  My todder is very active, and all of the pictures I currently take turn out blurry, the camera takes too long to snap the photo.  I also need something that will be good with indoor low light.  My budget is $1000, I know that's not much in the camera world, but that's all I can afford right now. 

I have my eyes on the Rebel T3i or the T5i, I have no clue which one I need, if even one of those.  I don't plan on using the auto feature, I want something that I can learn and grow with, but again, nothing real professional as I will just be using it on my girls, but I still want something nice.  As far as lenses go?  I was thinking to start with the lens that comes with the camera, the 18-55mm, and I also was thinking about the 50 mm 1.8.  Would the 75-300 lens be needed as well?  And what about an external flash?  Obviously with my budget I can't get all of that right now, but I'm not sure what I should start with, and what would be worth saving for in the near future. 

I appreciate any advice, the SLR is really new to me and I want to make sure I'm investing my money wisely.  Thank you for any help you can provide. 

27 REPLIES 27

I loved my 50mm as a walkaround on my crop sensor.  So much so I've been saving for a 85mm for my 6D.

"So much so I've been saving for a 85mm for my 6D."

This is the one you want, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM.

As you know from reading my posts I dislike third party lenses with a passion. But there are a handful of pretty nice glass right now. Mostly from Sigma so it is only right to give them their due.

There are no Tokina's I would own. There is one Tamron zoom, the 24-70mm f2.8 Di VC USD.

But there are several Sigma's and I already have some of them. The 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

being one. This lens on my 5D3 is fantastic.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"So much so I've been saving for a 85mm for my 6D."

This is the one you want, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM.

That's exactly the one on my list.  I don't have anything against Sigma, and I liked the old "EF-S" zoom lens I had from them.  Most the issues I see with their primes are just back-focusing, so I probably wouldn't get one if I didn't have AFMA. 

One big problem with third part lenses is the build quality and this also effects the Sigma 85mm f1.4. It isn't a Canon L but in this case it is close. This lens is better than my Canon 85mm f1.8 was.  Both in build and performance. I don't have the Canon f1.2 version but I suspect the Sigma is lacking in both areas compared to it. But the last time I checked the Sigma was a grand, give or take, less and that is something!

I hate to say this but Canon better look behind them and see who is clawing at their heals. There are three Sigma's in this series, a 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 and this 85mm f1.4. I don't have the 50mm f1.4 because it is no improvement over my Canon 50mm f1.4. But these three lenses are top notch performers.

EB

"Always the contrarian, eh, ebiggs?"      Indubitably, I is. To quote a famous actor of old.

It is always going to be a trade off and everyone must choose which is the most valuable. All of are going to see value in certain things and not so much in others. That is why Canon makes so many different choices in lenses.

IMHO, the Canon 35mm f2 is a far better lens that the 50mm f1.8 is. Her kit lens is going to be slow and the 35mm will certainly take better care of low light photos, she may want. Her kit lens will serve admirably as a portrait lens, Of course the selection is not perfect and ultimate but neither would adding a more specialized 50mm to the kit lens.

I sold my last Rebel, an XTI with a 35mm f2, a few days ago and I think I am already missing it. You must admit it is a nice combo. Actually come to think of it, I would prefer it over the kit lens in the first place.Smiley Very Happy

EB

The card is cheap now, so you don't have to think too much. A "fast" class 10 card, 16Gb is $16 and 32Gb is $25 on Amazon everyday.

The book TC recommended is a great book. However, since you said you want to save some $. I don't recommend you to buy it. The book is more geared toward to teach how to become a "pro".  In your case, I don't think it is needed yet. There is a ton of video on youtube and tons of free article online that teach you how to use the camera. I recommend the video since it's easier to follow. Even Canon has a website where you can play with all the basic camera settings.

If you really want to save, you can buy refurbished unit from Canon. I've heard a rumor in a few days they will have a Fall discount sale for those. Right now it is $399 body only, and the 18-135 lens for $400 (again refurbished prices). Check site like slickdeals.net, they post up deal for these camera all the time.

Good luck on your hunting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ensleym
Contributor

I'm loving my T3i.  It came with two kit lenses and I also purchased the 50mm 1.8 lens. I take tons of family photos, VBS, group outings, etc. and I've been very happy.  The 50mm lens...I was not sold on it when I bought it, but the quality of my photos has gone way up since I've started using it.  It stays on the camera now! ...and it is perfect for taking photos of children!

You all have been EXTREMELY helpful, thank you so much!  Is there a difference between EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Type II, and  EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lens

Hi, KAB,

I believe Ebiggs meant to say EF-S 18-135 IS STM, not type 2. The STM is the new part. STM means "stepping motor" which was a 2012 update to the 2009 version that has the more traditional USM focus motor.

STM is packaged with T5i but not T3i. I am not 100 percent sure STM lenses work on T3i.

The two lenses are almost identical. The STM makes that version even quieter than the already quiet original USM version. The only real reason for STM is for folks who are so serious about the videos they shoot that the sound of the lens focusing would be a distraction.

You need to buy a kit lens like a 18-135 in a kit, not separately. They are a cheaper deal in a body-and-lens kit.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Ok, thank you.  Now I'm really excited to go camera shopping this week.

Announcements