cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light spots on photos

Harry6
Contributor

Hello all, I have just started getting into this photography game (literally 3 weeks ago). I brought a 750D and popped out snapping away to just get used to it. When in

ooked back at some photos I noticed some light spots. All in different places and different sizes. I've tried to attach the photos. Any advice would be welcome as hoping it's me and not the camera. Thanks. 6174645776_IMG_0750.JPG6174645776_IMG_0748.JPG6174645776_IMG_0748.JPG

25 REPLIES 25

cicopo
Elite

Dirty sensor. To test shoot the empty sky at f 16 or higher. They may not show up at all near wide open apertures but as the aperture gets higher you see them. It could also be dirt on the inner lens element.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I am tempted to say out of focus fireflies.  Dirty sensors tend to produce dark spots because the light is blocked from reaching the sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, I'll test this later on around the same time and let you know how it goes. 

@Harry6 wrote:

Thank you, I'll test this later on around the same time and let you know how it goes. 

Heed the previous advice, and take a picture of a clear sky when the sun is high in the sky, just the sky and not the sun.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Right then, I have tried the sky shots with two different spots. One darker in the same place on a few photos ( I'm thinking dirt on lens) and one light spot only on one photo, which also has the dark spot on. 6241765840_IMG_0804.JPG6241765840_IMG_0803.JPG6241765840_IMG_0802.JPG

Are they at f16 or f22. You need to be at a high f stop number for the test.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

F20

Also just tried cleaning the lens to no avail. 😩

In all 3 of your sky pictures you can see some dirt on the sensor. It is a dark spot on the left side, and it is in exactly the same place in every image like dirt will always be. It is even possible to program your post processing program to automatically fix these dark spots for a while, until you get around to doing a cleaning, because they do not move. 

So two odd things about your light spots.

1.) Your light spots pots are not dark like dirt but light. I suppose it could be water droplets. They seem to catch the light and reflect it and the one in the cloud almost has a prismatic quality.  ???  Does anyone else know any other reason how/why these would be light spots instead of dark?

2.) The other odd thing is that the light spots are in different places in different shots, and sensor dirt does not move.  Are you maybe cropping some of those, making the positions of the light spots change location in the frame?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements