cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens compatibility w/ OS Rebel SXI

coachkirk
Apprentice

I have an older Rebel SXI and I want to get a 2.8 zoom lense for sports shots in low light.  Will my camera support such a lense and if so what do you recommend?

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

coachkirk,

"Will my camera support such a lense and if so what do you recommend?"

To answer your question, your camera, a Rebel XSi (?), will support any ef or ef-s lens you choose.  Depending on what sport you want to photograph will decide which lens you need.  BB does well with a 70-200mm f2.8 zoom.  These lenses are expensive so beware.  Considering a lens purchase in this price range almost demands a upgrade in the XSi.  For instance to the new T6i or newer T7i.  Either of them will make a huge difference in low light photography.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

coachkirk,

"Will my camera support such a lense and if so what do you recommend?"

To answer your question, your camera, a Rebel XSi (?), will support any ef or ef-s lens you choose.  Depending on what sport you want to photograph will decide which lens you need.  BB does well with a 70-200mm f2.8 zoom.  These lenses are expensive so beware.  Considering a lens purchase in this price range almost demands a upgrade in the XSi.  For instance to the new T6i or newer T7i.  Either of them will make a huge difference in low light photography.

Well, despite our differences in theory, at least we agree pretty muc on the solution for this gentleman.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I Appreciate your answer.  It is so nice to have a cordial discussion for a change.  People can disagree but still remain civil.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I Appreciate your answer.  It is so nice to have a cordial discussion for a change.  People can disagree but still remain civil.

A debate made in good faith and with respect is at the heart of how we progress.  I certainly respect your experience and would never intentionally undermine that.

I will always be willing to change my conclusions when the weight of factual material is compelling.  I just need the referential material to do so.  I like to base my opinions based on facts, not emotion or opinion - as a person who values those same things I respect your opinion, even if we differ in our conclusions.  It is a sad comment on our society today that the scientific method has been replaced by bigotry and abuse in so many platforms.  People say things on the web they would never consider doing if they had to face the person in real life - call it old fashioned but if we ever met in the real world I would like to do so without regret.

Also I find that a lot of disagreement comes downt to definitions and terms of reference.  There is a big difference between lens specs and equivalence.  I regret that initially I was so tired I forgot to make my term of reference clear in my first post, but I went back and made it clear that that was my intent and was corrected later.  At least that got rid of that area of confusion! Smiley Embarassed

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements