cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD screen has gone blank

RLaCount
Contributor

I received the Rebel t4i for Christmas. It's been working great until today. The lcd screen no longer shows any information. If I press any of the setting buttons (ISO, etc), nothing shows up. It worked fine this past weekend.

52 REPLIES 52

Blank screen?  If you cannot call up menus or saved images, then you may likely have an LCD screen failure. Make sure that the camera is "awake", though.  Press the shutter to wake up the AF and exposure systems, then press "Q" or "Menu", or the playback arrow key.

The solution presented in this thread would not apply to a T5 because it doesn't include the feature that this thread addresses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

RLaCount
Contributor
Check the eye cup around the viewfinder eyepiece. If it moves it blocks the display off sensor.

Deedeeloves
Apprentice
Did you already disable the LCD auto-off? It can be found on the Menu (which is located in upper left). Mine went blank too, but it got fixed already.

pantherlady7
Apprentice
Omg you just saved me from a heart attack!!! So, just for the record... This tip works for 80D as well! 🙌

SilviuRulz
Contributor

5D3 user:

My screen has also gone blank a result of the first ever still I was going to take. Yes, I put my eye up to the screen to use the eye piece. Then I noticed the LCD was black and the shutter was crazy slow and I could snap pictures at a fast rate.

In movie mode, the LCD is on at all times.

In Stills mode, info, menue, Q, and playback buttons do display.

Strangely though, now regardless of turning the 5d3 on/off in either Movie or Stills mode, the shutter gate does not audibly accuate (snap) open or closed. Though the display will show up as 'Cleaning sensor'.

The rubber I piece.... I take it on and off and it always does snap down into place. It cannot push down into the slots any further when forcing it down. I snaps into place.

I am in Manual Mode.... does this make a difference?? I set it to A+ (green dial marker) and the results are the same.

I'm on a custom user picture profile for video used... does that make a difference of being able to show the liveview of the LCD in stills mode?

This is so wierd.

amendoza
Apprentice

Hello, my Canon EOS Rebel XS's LCD is not displaying anything, on all modes. I have tried removing the battery and SD, cleaning the lens, but no luck. When I turn it on I can still hear the shutter sound and it does flash, the viewfinder does work and always says busy, at one point the LCD turned on and showed the settings interface and I picked it up and showed someone, but then the LCD went back to a black blank screen and I have not been able to get anything to appear on the LCD since. Could I get some help? 🙂 Thank you.

As I wrote initially, on my Rebel there was a tiny unmarked square switch between the hot shoe and the eye cup. I had somehow pushed it when the eye cup shifted. The result was a black screen. Pushing it turned the screen on again. That's just my experience and discovery. I hope I remember it. 

amendoza
Apprentice
Thank you for replying. However the Canon EOS Rebel XS has nothing between the hotshoe and eyecup 😞 so there's nothing for me to push or move. I still don't know why the LCD isn't displaying, but thanks anyway!

@amendoza wrote:
Thank you for replying. However the Canon EOS Rebel XS has nothing between the hotshoe and eyecup 😞 so there's nothing for me to push or move. I still don't know why the LCD isn't displaying, but thanks anyway!

It is probably dead in the water.  It is not worth repairing.  Try the HDMI cable suggestion that was given above.  It will not fix the problem, but it can help narrow down the problem.  

I think it is time to update your Rebel XS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements