cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is theTamron AF 100-300mm F/5-6.3 lens for Canon AF cameras compatible withe the Canon Rebel t4?

elj
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you mean will it mount, yes, it probably will. But the real question is, why? It is an awful lens and not worthy of the T4i.

It won't focus reliably and will produce soft images.

But if it fills your requirements, go for it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Accoring to the camera mags, the Tamron 70-300 is a much better bet. It's relatively cheep. Make sure you get the ED version with Extra Dispersal elements for better image quality. It's supposed better than the Canon 75-300iii which I own. Do you agree Ebiggs1?

Thank you ColinGlover!

"It's supposed better than the Canon 75-300iii which I own. Do you agree Ebiggs1?"

I have not tried the newer version of the Tamron. But again, IMHO, the Canon 75-300 (any) Canon is nothing to brag about.

I wouldn't buy one or really recommend one. I generally run across these types lenses from Mom's who have just bought a Rebel kit and want to learn how to use them. So far no one I know, has the new Tamron. I, as a rule, and generally, do not recommend any Tamron, Sigma, and definitely no, Tokina lenses to anyone. However, recently Tamron and especially Sigma has come out with some pretty darn good lenses. As good as it gets lenses.

One thing for sure don't just go with the web as a source, you really need to use a lens before you can emphatically tell if it is good enough and will do what you want. If this level of quality suits your needs then by all means go for it.

BTW, it isn't just the average photo output of the 3rd party lenses. It is the horrible inconsistent quality and poor support. It is a crap shoot most of the  time. If you get a good one, you get a GOOD one. But the chances of that are slim. They mostly have focus issues as the number one fault. 

Like I said, Sigma has impressed me lately. Their new releases and service is pretty darn good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you ebiggs1!
Announcements