cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the EOS rebel t3i good camera?

Garciajr17
Contributor

hello, I need help deciding if the camera i wan to purchase is worth buying. Im new to the camera world so some help would be greatly appreciated!

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

A camera is only as good as the person who wields it.  With that said, the T3i is a very capable camera, especially when paired with quality lenses. 

Vendors.  I would advise only purchasing camera gear from the most reputable dealers, none of whom exist on Amazon or eBay..  Buyer beware, when it comes to used gear, too.  If youi want a deal, I suggest the Canon Refurbished Store.  Look for the link at the lower right corner of this forum page.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

Canon made almost no discernible improvements to the Rebel line with the T4i and T5i, so the T3i is really only bested by the current T6i. If you get a good deal on one it would be a good camera.  I had one myself, actually. 

Going  with an inexpensive body for your first camera is smart, as it leaves you with money for better lenses, which are in almost all circumstances going to give you more noticeable image quality improvement than a slightly more expensive body would. 

What sort of things would you primarily shoot?  It is important in choosing lenses. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Im getting the camera used ofcourse with an extra lense, im  paying 385 witch i feel like a good deal because ive seen some lenses go for just that. And another reason is its my first camera and don't want to spend crazy money until i fully learn how to use this one. thonk the price is good? 

@Garciajr17 wrote:

Im getting the camera used ofcourse with an extra lense, im  paying 385 witch i feel like a good deal because ive seen some lenses go for just that. And another reason is its my first camera and don't want to spend crazy money until i fully learn how to use this one. thonk the price is good? 

Before buying used be sure to look at Canon's refurbished offerings.

Refurbished EOS Digital SLR and M Series Digital Cameras

"Im getting the camera used ofcourse with an extra lense, im  paying 385 ..."

Any modern DSLR is capable of really nice photos.  IMHO $385 would be top dollar for a used one.  Even with two lenses.  If it is in good shape it will work well for you.  It is probably one of the 'kits' Canon offered back when the Rebel T3i was in production.  If it is one of the kits make sure everything works.  The kit lenses are not real durable and don't react well to abuse.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

im goign to take another look at it its at a pawn shop and looks to be freat shape..the also have a 70d i belive it is but i liked the style of the t3i better. Ive been checking on the canon refurb section so for the mena time ill keep doing that. how do i find out if anything is faulty?

@Garciajr17 wrote:

im goign to take another look at it its at a pawn shop and looks to be freat shape..the also have a 70d i belive it is but i liked the style of the t3i better. Ive been checking on the canon refurb section so for the mena time ill keep doing that. how do i find out if anything is faulty?

Everything available for sale at the Refurb Store is fully tested, functional, and guaranteed for a year.  You can't bet that with a stick.

How do you know if something at the local pawn shop is faulty?  If you cannot tell, I guess you cannot know for certain.  There is a host of functionality built into a DSLR.  There is no way to test all of it in a few minutes.  You cannot test the external flash, the remote IR input, the HDMI input, USB communication, etc.  Yeah, it can take a picture.  So, what.  I'd bet the gear is being sold "as is", without any guarantee, at the pawn shop.  It could be good stuff.  It could be bad stuff.  It's a gamble some folks are willing to take, but not me.

The Canon Refurb store can have items in stock one day, and gone the next.  It can vary from week to week, and sometimes from day to day.  The 70D bodies seem to be selling out.  They may get more in a couple of days or weeks, or in a couple of months.  You never know.

The Canon Refurb store also sells lenses.  Sometimes you can put together a better combo for your purposes by picking your own lens, instead of going with one that they have paired with it.  Lenses are where the rubber hits the road.  You can only take good pictures with a good lens.  Some Canon lenses are designed to be "starter" lenses, just good enough to wow the new user.  Sticking to STM lenses is good advice.

If you have any questions about what works with what, and why, just ask.

@Garciajr17 wrote:

$385 for a pawn shop T3i sounds way over priced. If the T3i is overpriced the 70D probably is too. I would skip the pawn shop and buy a refurbished camera direct from Canon.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Garciajr17 wrote:

$385 for a pawn shop T3i sounds way over priced. If the T3i is overpriced the 70D probably is too. I would skip the pawn shop and buy a refurbished camera direct from Canon.

That guy's wise.  Listen to him,  Don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket at the local pawn shop.  Exercise some patience.  Heed some good advice.  And, you will be rewarded beyond expectations.  I think the 7D could make a good entry level camera, too.  The only problem I foresee with it might be what Operating System you want to use with it.

I have made several purchases through the Canon Refurb store.  I wait for what i want to come "in stock", and I buy it.  I laugh at Canon every time for "giving away" stuff at such deep discounts.  Thanks again, Canon.

Announcements