cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image in viewfinder of my T3 won't completely focus even with manual focus.

sailor
Apprentice

Hello,

when i look at something with my 12mm-300mm lens, the veiwfinder wont focus completely, it gets pretty close but not perfect. it looks fine in the live preview.

Is it more likely the T3 body or the lens?

any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You don't say which camera, but it is most likely the diopter adjustment that corrects the viewfinder for folks with glasses. It is the little know next to the viewfinder. It should have a detent at the zero point.

oh wow, and i almost thought something was horribly wrong... thanks!

The diopter,and many other features, are discussed in the camera manual. If it's been misplaced you can download a PDF from the Canon site.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

amfoto1
Authority

@sailor wrote:

Hello,

when i look at something with my 12mm-300mm lens, the veiwfinder wont focus completely, it gets pretty close but not perfect. it looks fine in the live preview.

Is it more likely the T3 body or the lens?

any ideas?

The viewfinder diopter is out of adjustment.

It's adjusted using a little dial that's partially hidden under the rubber eyecup.

To adjust it, simply remove the lens and obseve the markings on the focus screen.... turn the little dial until those appear the sharpest possible to you. You might need to temporarily remove the rubber eyecup to access the adjustment dial. The eyecup simply slides upward to remove it

Once done and happy with the adjustment, replace the eyecup and lens and try focusing the lens on something once again, to see if you are happy with the adjustment.

I've never heard of a 12-300mm lens from any manufacturer. Tamron recently introduced a 14-300mm and has made a 16-300mm prior to that. But never a 12-300mm.

Announcements