cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have a touch screen do you use a screen protector?

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I have recently aquired the 77d and it has a touch screen.  This is my first DSLR with a touch screen.  I would like to know about others with touchscreens use screen protectors on them?  I have always used one on my non-touch screen DSLR, but don't know if it would cause issues?  

6 REPLIES 6

natefish1
Apprentice

I had the T4i before getting the 77D this past weekend. The T4i is also touchscreen--it was Canon's first model with that feature. My experience so far is that the 77D touch screen is more responsive than the T4i and it seems to have a higher quality glass on it. I'd like to know if it's Gorilla glass or something else. I would assume the screen would work fine as long as your protector is of good quality. Tempered glass is best if you can find it in that size.

StanNH
Rising Star

On my T6s I do not use screen protector.  I keep it closed when not in use and so far, after several months of use, there's nothing but typical smudges.

@secondlevel wrote:

I have recently aquired the 77d and it has a touch screen.  This is my first DSLR with a touch screen.  I would like to know about others with touchscreens use screen protectors on them?  I have always used one on my non-touch screen DSLR, but don't know if it would cause issues?  

There are several (at least three) touch screen technologies, and it appears to me that all of them require the screen to actually be touched. So I don't see how a touch screen could work with a screen protector on it.

But if a touch screen works by some other mechanism, such as seeing a shadow or thermal sensing, then maybe it would work. But I'd be more than a little surprised.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Screen protectors typically have no effect on the function of the touch screen.  They are  commonly used on smartphones and are made for many camera brands and models as well.  Most modern screen material is very resistant to scratching, so the question is really whether or not there's any point to using one.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

To me, it makes sense to have a screen protector on a "phone" where the phone is going to be in your pocket/bag/purse, etc. and might have other objects coming in contact with the screen (car keys, change, etc.)  

But where would you use or store a camera where you'd need this type of protection?  

My camera is either being used (held in my hands, up to my face, hanging on the camera strap, etc. -- none of which have anything that should scratch the display) -or- my camera is stored in the camera bag (and the bag has a compartment for the camera where nothing else would come into contact with it other than the padded side of my bag.)

Ignoring the screen for the moment and just considering the entire camera body... if you were to inspect my camera body then you'd see areas where heavy use has worn the somewhat matte black body finish to a bit of a shiny finish (typically where my hands are contstantly in contact with the body as I hold it).  But what you don't see on my camera body... are scratches.  That's because nothing sharp enough to scratch the camera typically comes in contact with the camera body.

As such, I don't think I'd recommend a screen protector for a camera. 

If you are using or storing your camera in a place where you think something might scratch it... then things might be different.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

secondlevel
Enthusiast
I went ahead and bought the Vello screen protector from B&H. It was expensive; however, I don't have any issues with using my touch screen.
Announcements