cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to upgrade my canon t5 camera.

Opalsky
Apprentice

Hello everybody! This is my first post here. I need some advice on what camera to upgrade to. I'm a college student studying graphic design so having a good camera is important for me. I am currently taking a photography class. I'm a real newbie when it comes to photography. I currently own a Canon rebel t5 DSLR. I bought it as a bundle on Amazon.

The bundle came with:

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens
58mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens

High Definition 58mm Wide Angle Lens

Digital DSLR Auto Power Slave Flash

Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card

Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card
3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD) 58mm

58mm Ultraviolet UV Protector Filter

What I am looking for is a camera with a flip out screen, the capacity to film videos for a few hours, and a compatibility with the camera accessories I currently own. I just want to make a body upgrade. I am also willing to consider purchasing a camcorder.  I don't know what the best upgrade option would be. If you can give me your opinion and also a price range that would be great. Thanks!

P.S. if you have any suggestions for the best lenses and accessories I should own I'd love to hear that as well. I already have a table tripod, tripod, slave flash, cleaning kit, memory cards, LCD screen protector, and wired remote control. I plan to purchase a horizontal tripod.

12 REPLIES 12

"... all photographic camera makers force the camera to stop recording once it hits 29 minutes 59 seconds. 

Like I said... it’s not a “technical” problem... "

Well is it, or is it something else?  Causing the electronics to be forced on for long periods of time builds up heat. A lot of heat!  A DSLR may not be designed to deal with that heat effectively as a true video camera.  They are designed to do so.  There is always the 'burning' question is it better to buy a used camera that has few clicks on it but long hours of video use or thousands of clicks and no video  use.  High heat is not a camera's friend.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

As Tim noted,

"To comply with these rules... all photographic camera makers force the camera to stop recording once it hits 29 minutes 59 seconds. 

Like I said... it’s not a “technical” problem... Canon (and frankly every other camera maker) have to comply with these “political” rules."

At one point Panasonic had a couple of models that didn't impose this limit but built the tax into the price of the camera.  Some regulations make a lot of sense while others tend to have unintended consequences.  

There was supposed to be a move to change the camera/video recorder classification rule but I haven't heard about any change and with all of the other world issues it isn't a priorty item.

Heat buildup is an issue but it is more related to ambient temperature and many cameras will overheat in far less than 30 minutes running video mode in high ambient temps while the same camera in cold weather would go for hours if battery power and regulations allowed. 

I wonder if Canon will come out with white cameras to match their L series telephotos to reduce overheating in bright sunlight.  That would be a difficult style shift for me.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Besides continuously running electricity through the sensor you must also continuously energize the servo magnets that hold open the shutter since it isn't designed to remain open in a DSLR or the sensor to remain energized there is the file size limit.

Depending on the mode you select this can come very quickly.  Far short of the 29 min 59 secs limit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements