cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to upgrade my canon t5 camera.

Opalsky
Apprentice

Hello everybody! This is my first post here. I need some advice on what camera to upgrade to. I'm a college student studying graphic design so having a good camera is important for me. I am currently taking a photography class. I'm a real newbie when it comes to photography. I currently own a Canon rebel t5 DSLR. I bought it as a bundle on Amazon.

The bundle came with:

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens
58mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens

High Definition 58mm Wide Angle Lens

Digital DSLR Auto Power Slave Flash

Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card

Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card
3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD) 58mm

58mm Ultraviolet UV Protector Filter

What I am looking for is a camera with a flip out screen, the capacity to film videos for a few hours, and a compatibility with the camera accessories I currently own. I just want to make a body upgrade. I am also willing to consider purchasing a camcorder.  I don't know what the best upgrade option would be. If you can give me your opinion and also a price range that would be great. Thanks!

P.S. if you have any suggestions for the best lenses and accessories I should own I'd love to hear that as well. I already have a table tripod, tripod, slave flash, cleaning kit, memory cards, LCD screen protector, and wired remote control. I plan to purchase a horizontal tripod.

12 REPLIES 12

illininutt
Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat with my Canon T3I.  Would like the T7I but it's a ton of $$$.  At 69 and a few health problems I don't get out for picture taking much anymore.  How much use out of it I would get is the problem.  Looking for a refurbished body to go on sale again ($550) before I deside!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Opalsky wrote:

Hello everybody! This is my first post here. I need some advice on what camera to upgrade to. 

What I am looking for is a camera with a flip out screen, the capacity to film videos for a few hours, and a compatibility with the camera accessories I currently own. .

Video? No stills? Flip out screen? Hmm? You just described the EOS Cinema Line. Check out a C100 w/DPAF.

Horizontal tripod?  For video, you’re better off with a slider.

Your T5 not the best DSLR for video. It lacks a microphone input.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You better tell us your budget.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Around $400 to $500 for the DSLR camera body itself. I am willing to purchase a video camera on top of that, and accessories on top of that, depending on how interested I am.

"What I am looking for is a camera with a flip out screen, the capacity to film videos for a few hours, and a compatibility with the camera accessories I currently own."

First most if not all the accessories you "currently own" are not worth using.  Chuck that up to experience and don't make that mistake again.

"Around $400 to $500 for the DSLR camera body itself."

This pretty much limits to what is available. Tough to impossible!  You are not going to get a top of the line DSLR for that amount. The Canon EOS Rebel T7i DSLR Camera is around $750 body only but would be an outstanding choice.  The Canon EOS Rebel SL2 DSLR Camera sells for $550.  It is too small for my taste but it may fit you fine.

Have you considered used gear?  I have seen used Canon EOS 80D DSLR Camera (Body Only) in the $800 range.  It is a fantastic camera.  It could take you far. All these do video at 1080p but they do have the DSLR restriction.

Can you get by with the T5 until the budget is more favorable?  Smiley Happy

I am a stills photographer so I am of no help on a true video camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@Opalsky wrote:

The bundle came with:

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens  - this is an ok entry level lens 

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens - another ok entry-quality lens
58mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens - chuck this in the trash can.  It's junk.

High Definition 58mm Wide Angle Lens - chuck this in the trash can.  Also junk

Digital DSLR Auto Power Slave Flash - more junk

Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card good

Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card good (small by today's standards)
3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD) 58mm - keep the CPL filter, toss the UV filter in your sock drawer, trash the FLD filter.

58mm Ultraviolet UV Protector Filter - throw this in your sock drawer.

The general advice is to AVOID "bundles".  They try to pump up the percevied value of the deal... but they do this by adding "junk" grade accessories (and I do emphasize "junk" grade... these are typically the worst of the worst.)  For exapmle... the "2X Professional Telephoto Lens" (I just love how they include the word "professional") is basically a very low quality focal length multiplier (same with the "wide angle" lens).  They screw into the filter threads of your existing lens.  They often jam.  We occasionally get a post where someone screwed it "on" to the lens and cannot get it "off" of the lens and forcing it ends up breaking the lens.

Your camera has an internal UV filter (all digital cameras have one).  There is no need to put one on the front of your lens UNLESS you are shooting somewhere where you fear something might splatter on the front of the lens and you are using it as a form of protection (a lens hood is usually better protection).  The junk-grade versions of these lack anti-reflective coatings and result in "ghosting" in the images (reflections -- caused by the filter.  We've had people send in their UFO sighting photos and ghost-sighting photos... caused by these poor quality filters ... which degrade image quality rather than improvign it.)

As for camera body upgrade (especially a camera body that can do video) and meets your specs... 

The T7i would be ideal... but barring the price tag of that camera, the SL2 will probably also meet your needs.  It has most of the features of the T7i.

You may also want to look at lenses that have the "STM" focus motor if you plan to do a lot of video (and better yet... get an external mic such as a Rode VideoMic Pro).

One major caution:

You mentioned "the capacity to film videos for a few hours".  

If what you REALLY want is a video camera... best to get a video camera.  "Photographic" cameras can shoot video but are limited to 29 minutes, 59 seconds (just shy of 30 minutes) to comply with governments that tariff video cameras different than phtographic cameras.  By international treaty... the camera wont be considred a "video" camera if it cannot continuously record for 30 minutes or longer.  So the camera manufacturers limit the cameras to 1 second shy of that limit to avoid the tariff.  Currently the US doesn't tariff cameras... but some countries do, and this design choice was implemented so the cameras complied globally with the 30 minute standard.

Pro quality video is typically made by shooting lots of short clips... and splicing them together in post production.  Watch anything with high "production value" and try to count the number of seconds before you notice the scene cuts to a different camera angle... and you'll find you have a very hard time ever counting to 10.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Canon T7I is perfect for you!  If on a budget...get the Canon SL2!

What video camera do you suggest for a beginner? I need a camera that has the capacity to film for a hours because I want to film myself doing artwork. I can sit and do art for hours at a time nonstop and get into deep focus. Because of this, I don't want to have to worry about stopping the camera every 30 mibutes. If I purchase a video camera then I would use it in addition to my DSLR. Also I'm interested in purchasing one I can use for streaming videos online.

Because you didn't approve of the accesories that I own, what are some replacements you might recomend?

You will have a REALLY hard time finding any DSLR that can film for 30 minutes or longer.  This isn’t a technical problem... it’s a political problem.

Some countries “tariff” video cameras differently than photographic cameras (the US is not one of the countries... yet.  But the cameras are designed for use in many countries and it’s a common tariff restriction).

But in recent years, there’s pretty much no such thing as a photographic camera that can’t do some video.  So by international treaty... cameras wont be tariffed as “video” cameras unless they can record video for 30 minute or longer.

To comply with these rules... all photographic camera makers force the camera to stop recording once it hits 29 minutes 59 seconds. 

Like I said... it’s not a “technical” problem... Canon (and frankly every other camera maker) have to comply with these “political” rules.

If you want a camera that can record video for longer than 30 minutes... you’re going to have to buy a “video” camera.

I know that’s probably not what you wanted to hear... but this wasn’t really the manufacturer’s idea.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements