cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm shooting a video with the Canon T5i and it keeps autofocusing at random times in the video...

jt47000
Apprentice

I'm shooting a video with the Canon T5i and it keeps autofocusing at random times in the video.

Here's the deal, I'm shooting guitar lessons in a studio by myself and I have auto focus "on" on the lens which it's constantly autofocusing... I do this because I don't have someone to manual focus me in the shot when im in position to film.

How would you accomplish this? How would you focus the shot so it doesn't try to refocus at random times in the video? How would you focus yourself in the shot when you're only one person, the person in the video anf the person filming.

What would you recommend?

Thanks! Any help is super appreciated!

JT

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jt47000 wrote:

I'm shooting a video with the Canon T5i and it keeps autofocusing at random times in the video.

Here's the deal, I'm shooting guitar lessons in a studio by myself and I have auto focus "on" on the lens which it's constantly autofocusing... I do this because I don't have someone to manual focus me in the shot when im in position to film.

How would you accomplish this? How would you focus the shot so it doesn't try to refocus at random times in the video? How would you focus yourself in the shot when you're only one person, the person in the video anf the person filming.

What would you recommend?

Thanks! Any help is super appreciated!

JT

To keep the camera/lens from refocusing, I would try to prefocus the camera, and then turn the lens AF/MF to MF.  Also, I would put the camera into One-Shot focusing mode. 

Depending upon your focal length, and the distance between camera and subject, you could encounter depth of field issues.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle! 

So here's the videos I'm trying to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEcGIsrkdzE

I'm only a few feet away from the camera. Also, I have a widescreen lens that I'd like to try but it doesn't have an autofocus button on the lense, does this make it more difficult?

Thanks!

Justin

I looked at the first minute of your video, but did not see any random focusing issues.  Your focus seemed to be very good.  I didn't expect that you would post something with focusing problems on that platform.  You can post short video clips in the forum, but I am uncertain what limits they impose on file size or running time.  Still photo files need to be less than 5 MB. 

I'm uncertain what you mean by a widescreen lens.  If you mean wide angle lens, most videographers like wide angle lenses for documentary type of work.  Most professional videographers use fully manual lenses, but they also have a cameraman behind the camera pulling focus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements