Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

I have a EOS REBEL (DS6041) I am getting a Err 02 in the viewer with my card installed.

i am getting a Err 02 message with the card install. With the Card removed everything works

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have a EOS REBEL (DS6041) I am getting a Err 02 in the viewer with my card installed.

Do you have any other cards you can use?

Err 02 simply means there is an error communicating with the memory card.  It could indicate a problem with the card... but you can get the same error if it's the camera.  You would want to test using a different card.

Also... if you remove the card and look inside the card slot, do you see any obvious debris in the slot which should not be there?  Or any signs of damage?

That's a fairly old camera, so it may well be the camera.  

HOWEVER... even if it is the camera, do not discard it.  Your broken camera is actually worth a substantial discount on a replacement.  Contact Canon and inquire about the Canon loyalty program.  They allow you to trade in your old broken camera for a newer model (which may be a refurb) and a substantial discount off what it would cost to buy a new one.  The models available in the program change from time to time so you have to contact them to find out what the current offers are.

Lenses for your existing camaer will work with new models (unless you were to buy a "full frame" camera -- in which case only the "EF" lenses would be compatible).  For anything else, (all Rebel bodies, the midrange 60D and 70D bodies, as well as the 7D) all your current EOS lenses would be compatible.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
New Contributor

Re: I have a EOS REBEL (DS6041) I am getting a Err 02 in the viewer with my card installed.

I have tryed other cards with the same results

Hey rogerf100!

Welcome to the Canon Forums!

If you're still having a problem with your Original Digital Rebel, we'd appreciate contacting us by email or phone by clicking the following link: HERE

New Contributor

Thanks for that info.....do you know if the newer camera accept the same type of battery? 

Esteemed Contributor

No Canon has changed batteries to supply more power, You can easily look at the specs and see what battery any particular camera uses.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]